IMTAP : Impact of the Suicide Attempt on the Nearly Entourage in Term of Traumatic Stress and Medico-economic Impact (IMTAP)
With 11.000 deaths and 150.000 attempts each year in France, the suicide represents an important public health problem. For each death by suicide, one can count 6 "direct" bereaved people and 20 people in more indirect connection with this mourning (Terra 2001). In term of impact, there is thus 300.000 people (annually) touched by the deaths by suicide and 3.750.000 people (annually) touched by the "suicide attempt" of a close relative. It seems indeed important to have Public Health data on this cascade repercussion of the suicide attempt.
A suicide attempt propagates a suffering cascade on the various circles of the family and close entourage, which can be measured in term of traumatic stress and medico-economic impact.
Objective = To measure the medico-economic impact on the entourage, in the 3 months following the suicide attempt and at 1 year.
|Study Design:||Time Perspective: Prospective|
|Official Title:||Impact of the Suicide Attempt on the Close Entourage: Traumatic Stress and Medico-economic Concerns, in Medium and Long Term|
- Consumption of care in the close relatives of a suicide attempter [ Time Frame: one year ]Consumption of care in the close relatives of a suicide attempter, at the various stages of evaluation, compared with a matched sample in general population (data IRDES). One will be able to thus evaluate not only if the consumption of the close relatives is higher than the average, but still if this difference increases or on the contrary decreases during time.
- Psychological level of distress [ Time Frame: one year ]Psychological level of distress in the close relatives
- Links between consumption of care and psychological level of distress [ Time Frame: one year ]Links between consumption of care and psychological level of distress
- Prevalence of the post-traumatic stress disorder [ Time Frame: one year ]
Post-traumatic stress disorder at 3 months and one year, as evaluated by the PTSD Check List Symptoms among members of the entourage having been exposed to the scene of the suicide attempt.
Comparison of prevalence of the post-traumatic disorder of stress compared to the index of lethality of the suicide attempt index.
- Evolution of consumption of care [ Time Frame: one year ]Evolution of consumption of care at committing suicide compared to the remainder of the household and the general population
|Study Start Date:||March 2006|
|Study Completion Date:||September 2010|
|Primary Completion Date:||September 2010 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Suicide attempter and its entourage
Suicide attempter and its close relatives (who are living under the same roof)
Comparison of the population of the close relations of committing suicide with the data of the Research Institute and Documentation in Economy of Health (IRDES) on the French population (sample of 20.000 people, representative of 95% of the French households).
Secondary objectives = To measure the impact of the suicide attempt in traumatic term of stress on the close relatives of committing suicide confronted with the suicidal scene To compare the evolution of consumption of care of the close relatives and of committing suicide To measure the evolution of the general health condition of the close relatives and of committing suicide
The study participants (committing suicide it and the relatives) will be recontacted by telephone, after 3 months and to 1 year.
Consumption of care (number of consultations, drugs consumption) of the population of the close relatives of committing suicide will be compared with the data of the Research Institute and Documentation in Economy of Health (IRDES) on the French population (sample of 20.000 people, representative of 95% of the French households).
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01213797
|University Hospital, Angers|
|University Hospital, Brest|
|University Hospital, Caen|
|University Hospital, Clermont-Ferrand|
|University Hospital, Lille|
|University Hospital, Limoges|
|Le Vinatier Hospital|
|University Hospital, Nancy|
|University Hospital, Nice|
|Tenon Hospital, Paris|
|General Hospital, Quimper|
|EPSM Lille Metropole|
|Principal Investigator:||Guillaume VAIVA||University Hospital, Lille|