Role of Fibrocytes in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (FIREBROB)
Recruitment status was: Recruiting
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a frequent airway disease characterized by both bronchial inflammation and remodelling.
Bronchial mucosa is infiltrated by macrophages, neutrophils and lymphocytes. In addition, the number of eosinophils can be also increased during exacerbation.
Airway remodelling is an abnormal tissue repair following bronchial inflammation, which contributes to none reversible pathological features, such as bronchial and peri-bronchial fibrosis. It also influences the prognosis of COPD and its mechanisms remain largely unknown. The role of fibrocytes has been demonstrated in the pathophysiology of asthma, lung fibrosis or pulmonary hypertension. However, the recruitment of blood fibrocytes and their involvement in COPD airway remodelling remain unknown.
|Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease||Procedure: blood sample Procedure: Clinical and functional evaluation|
|Study Design:||Observational Model: Case Control
Time Perspective: Prospective
|Official Title:||Role of Fibrocytes in the Bronchial Remodeling of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease|
- Number of circulating blood fibrocytes [ Time Frame: Day 1 ]Sampling of blood in Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients
- Number of circulating blood fibrocytes [ Time Frame: 2 months ]Sampling of blood in Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients
- Characterization of fibrocytes [ Time Frame: Day 1 and at 2 months ]Sampling of blood
- Differenciation of blood fibrocytes [ Time Frame: Day 1 and at 2 months ]Sampling of blood
- Chemotactism of blood fibrocytes [ Time Frame: Day 1 and at 2 months ]Sampling of blood
- Number of exacerbation [ Time Frame: 12 months after V2 ]
- Mortality [ Time Frame: 12 months after V2 ]
- Annual decline of ventilatory function [ Time Frame: 12 months after V2 ]
|Study Start Date:||March 2011|
|Estimated Study Completion Date:||November 2016|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date:||September 2016 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients
COPD patients with exacerbation will be recruited during hospitalization in Intensive care unit or as outpatients in the clinical investigation centre of the CHU de Bordeaux.
Inclusion visit: blood sample for fibrocytes analysis. Second visit 2 months ± 7 days after the exacerbation: clinical and functional evaluation (plethysmography, TLCO, arterial gaz), blood sample for fibrocytes analysis.
Procedure: blood sample
blood sample for fibrocytes analysisProcedure: Clinical and functional evaluation
Plethysmography, Carbon monoxide capacity of transfer , arterial gaz
Subjects without any history of lung disease and with normal lung function testing
Procedure: blood sample
blood sample for fibrocytes analysis
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01196832
|Contact: Patrick BERGER, PUPH||(0)5 57 65 65 13|
|Contact: David LEGROS||(0)5 57 65 65 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|CHU de Bordeaux||Recruiting|
|Pessac, France, 33604|
|Contact: Patrick BERGER, PUPH (0)5 57 65 65 13|
|Contact: David LEGROS email@example.com|
|Principal Investigator: Patrick BERGER, PUPH|
|Principal Investigator:||Patrick BERGER, PUPH||University Hospital Bordeaux (France)|