Noninvasive Imaging of Heart Failure: A Pilot Study
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01160471|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : July 12, 2010
Last Update Posted : March 29, 2018
- Heart failure is a common cardiovascular disorder whose incidence increases with age, affecting up to 10% of people older than 65 years of age. As the population ages, the prevalence and cost of heart failure will continue to rise. Researchers are interested in using noninvasive imaging methods to better understand the symptoms and effects of heart failure.
- To conduct a noninvasive comparative imaging study of individuals with heart failure.
- Individuals at least 18 years of age who have been diagnosed with heart failure (with at least mild symptoms and slight limitations on physical activity).
- This study will last approximately 2 years and will require four visits to the National Institutes of Health Clinical Center, with one screening visit and three study visits.
- Participants will be screened with a full medical history and physical examination, as well as blood and urine samples.
- Participants will have the following tests during each study visit:
- Physical examination
- Blood and urine samples
- Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging
- Cardiac computerized tomography to study the blood vessels in and leading to the heart
- Echocardiogram to evaluate heart function
- Electrocardiogram to measure heart electrical activity
- The three study visits will take place 1 year apart. Participants will also receive follow-up phone calls 6 months after the first and second visits.
- No treatment will be provided as part of this protocol.
|Condition or disease|
|Magnetic Resonance Imaging Acquired Heart Disease Myocardial Fibrosis|
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Actual Enrollment :||62 participants|
|Official Title:||Noninvasive Imaging of Heart Failure|
|Study Start Date :||July 1, 2010|
- Post contrast myocardial T1 measured by CMR.
- A) Post contrast myocardial attenuation measured by MDCT. B) LV systolic/diastolic function measured by CMR. C) Serum myocardial extracellular matrix remodelling biomarkers. D) Fibrosis detected by histology analysis in endomyocardial biopsy.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01160471
|United States, Maryland|
|National Institutes of Health Clinical Center, 9000 Rockville Pike|
|Bethesda, Maryland, United States, 20892|
|Principal Investigator:||Elizabeth C Jones, M.D.||National Institutes of Health Clinical Center (CC)|