Pressure Support During Chest Wall Compression
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01155648|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : July 2, 2010
Last Update Posted : July 2, 2010
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Respiration, Artificial Critical Care||Device: Chest wall compression plus increase of 10 cmH2O in inspiratory pressure during Pressure Support Ventilation for ten minutes in chest. Device: Chest wall compression for ten minutes in chest||Not Applicable|
- After being placed in the supine position in bed, with head angle elevation at 30°, patients were randomized to:group 1 (G1): chest wall compression for ten minutes in chest or group 2 (G2): chest wall compression plus increase of 10 cmH2O in IP in PSV for ten minutes in chest.
- Clinical variables and APACHE II were registered.
- Parameters analyzed at the beginning (1) and at the end (2) of the protocol were: variation of peak pressure (ΔPp=Pp2-Pp1),variation of tidal volume (ΔVT =VT2-VT1), variation of dynamic compliance (ΔCdyn= Cdyn2-Cdyn1).
- The amount of variation of mucus secretion aspirated (ΔSa= Sa2-Sa1) at the end was also measured
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||66 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Increasing Pressure Support During Chest Wall Compression is Useful During Respiratory Therapy?|
|Study Start Date :||May 2008|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||June 2009|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||May 2010|
Experimental: PSV group.
Chest wall compression plus increase of 10 cmH2O of PSV.
Device: Chest wall compression plus increase of 10 cmH2O in inspiratory pressure during Pressure Support Ventilation for ten minutes in chest.
Active Comparator: chest wall compression group
Chest wall compression
Device: Chest wall compression for ten minutes in chest
- Variation of mucus secretion aspirated. [ Time Frame: Two years ]
- Hemodynamic and pulmonary parameters. [ Time Frame: Two years ]The hemodynamic and pulmonary parameters were collected: Hart rate (HH), respiratory rate (f), mean arterial pressure (MAP) and peripheral arterial saturation of oxygen (SpO2); peak inspiratory pressure (Ppeak),and Tidal volume (VT) measured in the ventilator, dynamic compliance (Cdyn calculated through the formula VT/ Ppeak - PEEP)
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01155648
|Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Hospital de Clínicas de Porto Alegre|
|Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, 90035-903|
|Principal Investigator:||Silvia R Vieira, PhD||Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Hospital de Clínicas de Porto Alegre|