Computer-Based Physical Activity Advice for Ethnic Minority Aging Adults
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01144767|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : June 16, 2010
Last Update Posted : December 9, 2015
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment|
|Communication Health Behavior Sedentary Lifestyle||Behavioral: Computer-generated advisor Behavioral: Comparison control condition|
During Phase 1 of this study, the computer program will be adapted to better help Latino older adults to increase physical activity levels. Researchers will conduct focus groups and/or individual interviews to obtain participants feedback used to tailor the program to be appropriate for this population.
During Phase 2, the computer-generated adviser program will be tested to see if it is effective in promoting an increase in physical activity (primarily walking) levels among Latino older adults.
Participants will be randomly assigned to use the computer-generated adviser or to the wait list control group. Participants in the embodied conversational agent (computer-generated adviser) group receive an initial session with a staff health educator to review the expectations and content of this walking program. They will learn how to log onto the computer and interact with the computer adviser using a touch-screen. Participants will interact with the computer adviser at least 3 times per week to report past physical activity (primarily walking) completed, review obstacles (or barriers) to walking, and to set future walking goals. They are also asked to wear a pedometer.
Participants assigned to the wait list will receive an initial session with a staff health educator to review the expectations and content of this program. They will attend a monthly interactive class-based group session lead by a health educator that will cover health-related topics relevant for the older adult such as nutrition, stress management, and brain health. At the end of their involvement with this group they can decide if they want to use the computer adviser program.
Participants of both groups complete physical activity and computer-related questionnaires at the beginning (at 2 months) and at the end of the study (4 months).
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||40 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Official Title:||Computer-Based Physical Activity Advice for Ethnic Minority Aging Adults|
|Study Start Date :||November 2008|
|Primary Completion Date :||April 2010|
|Study Completion Date :||April 2010|
Experimental: Computer-generated advisor
Participants receive sessions with a computer-generated adviser who will provide tailored advice and encouragement to engage in physical activity.
Behavioral: Computer-generated advisor
Weekly sessions with a computer generated advisor who offers advice, feedback and guidance on physical activity
Active Comparator: Comparison control condition
Participants will receive live, group sessions on health topics unrelated to physical activity.
Behavioral: Comparison control condition
Weekly/biweekly sessions with a group facilitator to receive health education and information.
- Community Healthy Activities Model Program for Seniors (CHAMPS) Questionnaire [ Time Frame: 4 months ]self-report questionnaire to assess frequency and quantity of physical activity
- steps per day measured by accelerometry [ Time Frame: 4 months ]objective measure of physical activity collected by accelerometer monitor
- physical activity self-efficacy [ Time Frame: 4 months ]self-report questionnaire of perceived confidence to engage in physical activity under a variety of circumstances
- physical activity decisional balance [ Time Frame: 4 months ]self-report questionnaire of perceived pros and cons of engaging in physical activity
- Computer Attitude Scale [ Time Frame: 4 months ]self-report questionnaire of perceived confidence and anxiety around computers and technology
- Working Alliance Inventory [ Time Frame: 4 months ]self-report questionnaire of perceptions and attitudes about the working relationship with the advisor
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01144767
|United States, California|
|Stanford University School of Medicine|
|Stanford, California, United States, 94305|
|Principal Investigator:||Abby C King||Stanford University|