CT Analysis of Structural Buttresses in the Traumatised Nose
Hypothesis: There are 5 support buttresses in the complex osteocartilaginous architecture of the nose.
- The membranous septum;
- The Right nasal bone;
- The Left nasal bone;
- The perpendicular plate of the ethmoid;
- The vomer, vomerine groove and anterior nasal spine.
|Study Design:||Observational Model: Case-Only
Time Perspective: Prospective
|Official Title:||CT Analysis of Structural Buttresses in the Traumatised Nose - A Basis for Decision Making for Early Open Rhinoplasty and Biomechanical Study of Nasal Structural Support|
- Normal architecture of the nasal buttresses [ Time Frame: 1 year ]
To impact current clinical practice and improve the treatment outcomes by utilizing CT scans to analyze
- Normal architecture of the nasal buttresses;
- Fracture patterns of the buttresses associated with septal deviation and changes to the external nasal morphology;
- Weakest buttress as seen by the highest frequency of fracture;
- Strongest buttress as seen by the lowest frequent of fracture;
- Assessment of nasal patency due to the changes in nasal morphology before and after the surgical correction.
|Study Start Date:||May 2009|
|Study Completion Date:||May 2013|
|Primary Completion Date:||May 2013 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
67 patients admitted for facial fractures and who undergo routine CT scans of the face are to be studied. CT scans are evaluated to assess the position, comminution and displacement of the 5 said buttresses.
The buttresses are graded Grade 1 Simple fracture without displacement Grade 2 Simple fracture with displacement Grade 3 Comminuted fracture without displacement Grade 4 Comminuted fracture with minimal displacement Grade 5 Comminuted fractured with displacement
The septum is graded from Grade 0 Septum is straight Grade 1 Septum is deviated by less than 1 half the distance from the midline to the nasal turbinate Grade 2 Septum is deviated by more than 1 half the distance from the midline to the nasal turbinate Grade 3 Septum is almost touching the nasal turbinate
Show Detailed Description
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01136616
|National University Hospital, Singapore|
|Singapore, Singapore, 119074|
|Principal Investigator:||Shu Jin Lee, MD||National University Hospital, Singapore|