A Phase I Study of Pazopanib as a Single Agent for Children With Refractory Solid Tumors
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01130623|
Recruitment Status : Withdrawn
First Posted : May 26, 2010
Last Update Posted : July 2, 2017
- Pazopanib, a drug that inhibits the growth of new blood vessels in tumors, was recently approved by the Food and Drug Administration to treat advanced kidney cancer in adults. Pazopanib has been used in only a small number of adults, and more research is needed on whether it is safe and effective to use in children. Researchers are interested in determining safe and effective treatment doses of pazopanib in children, and in other studies will examine which form of pazopanib treatment (tablet or liquid) is most effective and well tolerated.
- To determine a safe and effective dose of pazopanib to treat solid tumors in children.
- To study the effects of pazopanib on blood cells, blood flow, and human development.
- Children, adolescents, and young adults between 1 and 21 years of age who have been diagnosed with solid tumors that have not responded to treatment.
- Eligible participants will be screened with a physical examination, blood and tumor samples, and imaging studies.
- Participants will receive pazopanib tablets for 28-day cycles of treatment. Pazopanib should be taken on an empty stomach, at least 1hour before or 2 hours after a meal. Participants may receive pazopanib for up to 24 cycles unless the tumor does not respond or participants develop serious side effects.
- Blood samples will be taken on days 1, 15, 22, and 27 of the first cycle of pazopanib, with additional samples taken every 8 weeks during subsequent cycles.
- An optional part of the study will collect additional blood samples at regular intervals for 24 hours after the first dose of pazopanib and at regular intervals after another dose during the second or third week of the first treatment cycle.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Sarcoma Neuroblastoma Wilms Tumor Osteosarcoma Brain Tumor||Drug: Pazopanib (GW786034)||Phase 1|
Show Detailed Description
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||0 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Phase I Study of Pazopanib as a Single Agent for Children With Relapsed or Refractory Solid Tumors, Including CNS Tumors|
|Study Start Date :||May 10, 2010|
|Primary Completion Date :||November 18, 2011|
|Study Completion Date :||November 18, 2011|
- To estimate MTD and Phase II dose of oral pazopanib.
- To define the toxicities of oral pazopanib tablet or suspension.
- To characterize PKs.
- To define antitumor and biologic activity and explore changes in tumor vascular permeability. To assess VEGF haplotype/phenotype relationships and explore concentration-effect with biomarkers and clinical outcomes.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01130623
|United States, Maryland|
|National Institutes of Health Clinical Center, 9000 Rockville Pike|
|Bethesda, Maryland, United States, 20892|