A Study for Evaluating the SCIO Biofeedback Device's Ability to Increase Body Wellness After One 45-minute Session
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01130454|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : May 26, 2010
Last Update Posted : November 25, 2010
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Stress||Device: Universal Electrophysiological Biofeedback Treatment||Phase 2|
Show Detailed Description
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||151 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Triple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator)|
|Official Title:||A Double-blind Placebo-controlled Study of the Application of the SCIO Universal Electrophysiological Biofeedback System for Statistical Evaluation of the SCIO's Ability to Increase Body Wellness After One 45-minute Session|
|Study Start Date :||September 2009|
|Primary Completion Date :||November 2009|
|Study Completion Date :||April 2010|
|Active Comparator: SCIO Test Group||
Device: Universal Electrophysiological Biofeedback Treatment
one 45 minute biofeedback treatment
Other Name: SCIO biofeedback treatment
|Placebo Comparator: SCIO Placebo Group||
Device: Universal Electrophysiological Biofeedback Treatment
one 45 minute placebo treatment
Other Name: placebo treatment
- VARHOPE Score [ Time Frame: average 3 months ]
VARHOPE is an acronym coined by the manufacturer in which V = Voltage, A = Amperage, R = Resistance, H = Hydration, O = Oxygenation, P = Protons and E = electrons.
The VARHO readings are set on a scale from 0-110. Changes in the readings are shown on the scale where an increase in number shows in improvement.
The PE readings are set on a scale where the closer the P reading to 75 the more the client's state of wellness has stabilized, and the closer the E reading to 65 the more the client's state of wellness has stabilized.
- Energy Index Factor [ Time Frame: average 3 months ]
Measurements taken: blood pressure and pulse left arm sitting.
The Energy Index Factor formula used:
Take the systolic left arm sitting + the diastolic left arm sitting x pulse = energy index factor.
- Below 9,000 indicates parasympathetic control.
- 14,000 indicate balance.
- 18,000+ indicate sympathetic neural control.
- Strength Test [ Time Frame: average 3 months ]Patient holds the Dynamo-meter in one hand. They give one big squeeze with one hand on the Dynamo-meter and the investigator documents how many kilograms of strength the patient was able to exert. Done for both left and right hand.
- Anaerobic Oxygenation Test [ Time Frame: average 3 months ]Patient starts in a seated position, relaxed and at a normal breath rate for 1 minute. The patient takes a deep breath at the same time that the investigator starts a stop-watch counting minutes, seconds and tenths-of-a-second. Patient stands up at a normal speed and sits down again at a normal speed while still holding breath as long as possible. As soon as patient stops holding breath and takes a new breath then investigator stops the stop-watch. Investigator must document the length of time that the patient held breath during Anaerobic Oxygenation Test.
- Low Back Flexibility [ Time Frame: average 3 months ]Patient sits on the floor with legs stretched out in front, heels approximately 8 inches apart. The patient extends both hands, outstretched fingers towards their heels keeping legs straight. Patients are asked to do maximum stretch and touch the floor as far as they can, even going past the heels, if they can. The distance in inches from where their fingers touched the floor to the heels, with Zero at the heels, positive if they can extend past the heels, minus if they are before the heels. Normal scores are anywhere from -3 to 0, scores below -3 indicate low back difficulty.
- Side to Side Flexibility [ Time Frame: average 3 months ]Patient stands on their knees without bending forward or backward at the waist, they lean to the left side and try to touch their left palm to the floor. Touch their knuckles to the floor or try to touch their fingers to the floor and we measure the extent of their flexibility. Normal readings are touching fingers or knuckles to floor. An advanced patient will be able to touch their palm. If they cannot touch their fingers it indicates a lack of flexibility. A protractor is used to determine the angle of flexibility.
- Neck Flexibility [ Time Frame: average 3 months ]Patient tries to touch their ear to their shoulder without raising their shoulder to their ear. A protractor is used to determine the angle of flexibility.
- Memory Test [ Time Frame: average 3 months ]A series of random digits is chosen. The suggested test method is to choose the first set of random numbers. If the patient remembers these numbers in the proper sequence (either forward or backward depending on the memory test), then the investigator adds 2 to the existing digit and adds one more digit to the end to increase the sequence by one digit. This method should be continued until the end. The investigator should always write down the digit to ensure that they can reference the actual list when the patient repeats the digits.
- pH Test [ Time Frame: average 3 months ]An Over-The-Counter pH (acidity-alkalinity) Test Kit should be purchased and used for pre-test and post-test measurements. The pre-test reading should be taken within three (3) hours before the Treatment begins. The post-test may not be taken more than three (3) hours after the Treatment is completed.
- Quality of Life Questionnaire [ Time Frame: average 3 months ]
The investigator asks the patient the following questions. The Investigator explains that the rating is on a scale of 1-10, where 10 is more negative and 1 is more positive.
- Rate your stress level.
- Rate how you feel in general.
- Do you have pain? Circle one: Yes/No. If yes, rate your pain.
- Do you have emotional trauma? Circle one: Yes/No. If yes, rate your trauma.
- Do you have an injury that causes discomfort? Circle one: Yes/No. If yes, rate your injury.
- Rate any symptoms you have that are of concern.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01130454
|United States, Washington|
|Annex of Quantum Northwest Presents|
|Seattle, Washington, United States, 98102|
|Annex of Hexagram SARL|
|CFI Centrum für Integrative Medizin|
|Speyer, Germany, D-67346|
|Centrul de Biorezonanţă Dr. Băcean|
|Timisoara, Timis, Romania, 300458|
|Principal Investigator:||Rainer Mutschler, MD|