Epirubicin Hydrochloride, Cisplatin, and Fluorouracil or Capecitabine With or Without Lapatinib Ditosylate as First-Line Therapy in Treating Patients With Stomach Cancer or Gastroesophageal Junction Cancer
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01123473|
Recruitment Status : Terminated (company withdrew interest)
First Posted : May 14, 2010
Last Update Posted : October 12, 2016
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as epirubicin hydrochloride, cisplatin, fluorouracil, and capecitabine, work in different ways to stop the growth of tumor cells, either by killing the cells or by stopping them from dividing. Lapatinib ditosylate may stop the growth of tumor cells by blocking some of the enzymes needed for cell growth. It is not yet known whether giving combination chemotherapy together with or without lapatinib ditosylate is more effective in treating patients with cancer of the stomach or gastroesophageal junction.
PURPOSE: This randomized phase II trial is studying how well epirubicin hydrochloride, cisplatin, and fluorouracil or capecitabine works when given together with or without lapatinib ditosylate as first-line therapy in treating patients with stomach cancer or gastroesophageal junction cancer.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Adenocarcinoma of the Gastroesophageal Junction Gastric Cancer||Drug: capecitabine Drug: cisplatin Drug: epirubicin hydrochloride Drug: fluorouracil Drug: lapatinib ditosylate||Phase 2|
- To determine the activity of first-line treatment comprising epirubicin hydrochloride, cisplatin, and fluorouracil or capecitabine with or without lapatinib ditosylate in patients with adenocarcinoma of the stomach or esophagogastric junction that is metastatic or not amenable to curative surgery according to HER2 and EGFR status.
- To explore the activity of this regimen in patients who are HER2 negative by FISH, but HER2 positive by IHC (2+ and 3+) as well as patients who are HER2 positive or negative by FISH and negative by IHC (0 or 1+), but EGFR positive by FISH or by IHC (2+ and 3+).
- To assess the concordance of HER2 determination by FISH and IHC.
OUTLINE: This is a multicenter study. Patients are stratified according to institution and the combination of EGFR/HER2 status as determined by fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) and immunohistochemistry (IHC) assays (HER2 positive by FISH/HER2 positive by IHC 2/3+ vs HER2 negative by FISH/HER2 positive by IHC 2/3+ vs HER2 negative by IHC 0/1+/EGFR positive by FISH or by IHC 2/3+). Patients are randomized to 1 of 2 treatment arms.
- Arm I (experimental): Patients receive epirubicin hydrochloride IV and cisplatin IV on day 1; fluorouracil IV continuously on days 1-21 or oral capecitabine twice daily on days 1-21; and oral lapatinib ditosylate once daily on days 1-21. Treatment repeats every 21 days for 6 courses in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
- Arm II (control): Patients receive epirubicin hydrochloride, cisplatin, and fluorouracil or capecitabine as in arm I. Patients also receive oral placebo once daily on days 1-21. Treatment repeats every 21 days for 6 courses in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
After completion of study treatment, patients are followed at 8 weeks, every 3 months for 2 years, and then every 6 months thereafter.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||29 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Double (Participant, Investigator)|
|Official Title:||Effectiveness of First Line Treatment With Lapatinib and ECF/X in Histologically Proven Adenocarcinoma of the Stomach or the Esophagogastric Junction, Metastatic or Not Amenable to Curative Surgery According to HER2 and EGFR Status: a Randomized Phase II Trial|
|Study Start Date :||December 2010|
|Primary Completion Date :||August 2013|
|Study Completion Date :||September 2014|
Chemotherapy + lapatinib
|Drug: capecitabine Drug: cisplatin Drug: epirubicin hydrochloride Drug: fluorouracil Drug: lapatinib ditosylate|
Placebo Comparator: Placebo
Chemotherapy + placebo
|Drug: capecitabine Drug: cisplatin Drug: epirubicin hydrochloride Drug: fluorouracil|
- Progression-free survival
- Response rate
- Overall survival
- Concordance of diagnostic tests
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01123473
|Institut Jules Bordet|
|Johannes Gutenberg Universitaetskliniken|
|I.P.O. Francisco Gentil - Centro De Lisboa|
|Study Chair:||Arnaud Roth||Hopital Cantonal Universitaire de Geneve|