French Observatory on Hospitalizations in Cardiology of Patients of 80 Years and Over (OCTOCARDIO)
Because of increased life expectancy and improved therapeutic methods in cardiology, the proportion of very old patients with cardiovascular disease increases. However, clinical practice "in real life" are still insufficiently known in this population. The recommendations still lack of studies specifically devoted to elderly or very elderly, an extrapolation of data based on evidence obtained in younger populations.
This is a multicenter observational study during a day. On this day, all participating centers fill a questionnaire for each patient 80 years or older hospitalized in their service.
|Study Design:||Observational Model: Cohort
Time Perspective: Prospective
|Official Title:||French Observatory on Hospitalizations in Cardiology of Patients of 80 Years and Over|
- Percentage of patients for which national guidelines were followed [ Time Frame: 1 day ]Evaluate clinical practice and particularly the monitoring of recommendations of international scientific societies in the population of very elderly (≥ 80 years)
- Percentage of patients aged 80 and older hospitalized in the university and non university [ Time Frame: 1 day ]Better understand the demographics of cardiology services in France (Demography)
|Study Start Date:||October 2009|
|Study Completion Date:||June 2010|
|Primary Completion Date:||October 2009 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Patients aged 80 years and older
Patients aged 80 years and older and hospitalized in a cardiology department
Information about the center will be collected: non-university or university center, presence of coronary angiography room, number of beds, number of patients 80 years or older hospitalized in the day of the investigation.
The questionnaire is designed to:
- Know the history of cardiovascular and noncardiovascular patient and degree of dependence
- Know the reason for hospitalization
- Evaluate the diagnostic and therapeutic already implemented or planned for this patient
The day of the survey, information on each patient 80 years or older hospitalized in the service will be collected:
- Patient Data: date of birth, sex, status. The patient identification data (name, surname, address) will not be collected.
- Patient History: date of last hospitalization, life, cardiovascular risk factors, cardiovascular and non cardiovascular history, date of last hospitalization, life
- Circumstances of admission: course of care before admission, admission to intensive care unit or hospital unit classical primary diagnosis and diagnosis (s) partner (s)
- Initial assessment: treatment admission, major hemodynamic, electrocardiographic and biological
- Regarding the current hospitalization: diagnosis already implemented or planned (echocardiography, angiography, electrophysiological study, etc ...), therapeutic methods already implemented or planned angioplasty, percutaneous valve intervention, conventional or biventricular stimulation, cardiac surgery, medication
- Become of the patient after hospitalization
- The clinician's subjective impressions about the condition of the patient and monitoring recommendations
- Assessment of addiction: ADL Scale
No monitoring of patients is contemplated.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01121679