Low Carbohydrate and Conventional Diets Associated to Resistance Training on Muscle Fitness and Health Markers (LCD-RT)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01096836|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : March 31, 2010
Last Update Posted : March 31, 2010
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Obesity Overweight||Other: macronutrient and energy manipulation||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||21 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Combined Effects of Resistance Training and Low Carbohydrate or Conventional Diets on Strength, Muscle Mass, Body Composition, Blood Lipids and Endothelium Function|
|Study Start Date :||September 2006|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||January 2008|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||August 2008|
Experimental: Diet counseling
Outcomes of the study may enhance diet counseling
|Other: macronutrient and energy manipulation|
|Experimental: exercise training||Other: macronutrient and energy manipulation|
- body mass [ Time Frame: eight weeks ]Measured always at the same time of the day on a calibrated weight scale
- Muscle strength [ Time Frame: eight weeks ]Measured using resistance exercise machines (isotonic) in four exercise movements
- Endothelial function [ Time Frame: eight weeks ]Measured using a two dimensional color spectral Doppler ultrasound equipped with a 14MHz linear transducer. Subject laid down comfortably in the supine position with the right arm slightly abduced. After locating the brachial artery, the transducer was placed on the anteromedial face of the right arm, perpendicular to the centerline of the arm, 5-10 cm above the antecubital fossa, over the artery.
- muscle thicknesses [ Time Frame: eight weeks ]Measured with a ultrasoundo bidimensional in Mode B, with a 7,5MHz transducer on the anatomical sites knee extensor muscles and elbow flexors and extensors.
- markers of renal function [ Time Frame: eight weeks ]Measured using conventional and satandardized laboratory methods with subjects fasting for 12 hours
- body composition [ Time Frame: eight weeks ]Measured with skinfold calipers and using prediction equations to determine body fat and lean body mass.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01096836
|Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil, 20748-900|
|Principal Investigator:||Paulo Sergio C Gomes, Ph.D.||Universidade Gama Filho|