Cyclophosphamide, Fludarabine, Alemtuzumab, and Rituximab (CFAR) for Relapsed or Refractory Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL)
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01082939|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : March 9, 2010
Results First Posted : October 21, 2011
Last Update Posted : February 20, 2012
The goal of this clinical research study is to learn if the combination of fludarabine, cyclophosphamide, alemtuzumab, and rituximab is effective in treating chronic lymphocytic leukemia in patients who have already been treated with chemotherapy.
Evaluate the therapeutic efficacy, including the complete remission (CR), nodular partial remission (NPR), and partial remission (PR) rates (overall response) of combined cyclophosphamide, fludarabine, alemtuzumab, and rituximab (CFAR) in previously treated patients with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL).
- Assess the toxicity profile of CFAR in previously treated patients with CLL.
- Monitor for infection and determine incidence and etiology of infection including cytomegalovirus in patients treated with CFAR.
- Evaluate molecular remission by polymerase chain reaction (PCR) for the clonal immunoglobulin heavy chain variable gene in responding patients treated with CFAR.
- Assess immune parameters, including pretreatment, during treatment, and post-treatment blood T-cell counts and subset distribution and serum immunoglobulin levels in patients treated with CFAR.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia||Drug: Fludarabine Drug: Cyclophosphamide Drug: Alemtuzumab Drug: Rituximab||Phase 2|
Show Detailed Description
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||80 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Phase II Study of Cyclophosphamide, Fludarabine, Alemtuzumab, and Rituximab (CFAR) in Previously Treated Patients With Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL)|
|Study Start Date :||December 2002|
|Primary Completion Date :||January 2011|
|Study Completion Date :||January 2011|
CFAR: Cyclophosphamide 250 mg/m^2/day intravenous (IV) Days 3-5, Fludarabine 25 mg/m^2/day IV Days 3-5, Alemtuzumab 30 mg IV Days 1, 3 and 5 over 2-4 hours, repeated every four weeks for a total of 6 planned cycles, and Rituximab Cycle 1 (Week 1): 375 mg/m^2/day IV Day 2 over 4- 6 hours, Cycle 2 - 6 (Week 1): 500 mg/m^2/day IV Day 2 over 4- 6 hours.
25 mg/m^2/day IV on Days 3-5; repeated every four weeks for a total of 6 planned cycles.
Other Names:Drug: Cyclophosphamide
250 mg/m^2/day IV on Days 3-5; repeated every four weeks for a total of 6 planned cycles.
Other Names:Drug: Alemtuzumab
30 mg IV on Days 1, 3 and 5 over 2-4 hours; repeated every four weeks for a total of 6 planned cycles.
Other Names:Drug: Rituximab
Cycle 1 (Week 1): 375 mg/m^2/day IV on Day 2 over 4- 6 hours
Cycle 2 - 6 (Week 1): 500 mg/m^2/day IV on Day 2 over 4- 6 hours
Other Name: Rituxan
- Number of Participants With an Overall Response [ Time Frame: 6 cycles of treatment (28 days per cycle) ]Overall (OR) is the total number of participants with any response: Complete remission (CR), is defined as > 30% lymphocytes in the bone marrow, recovery of blood counts and no clinical symptoms; Nodular partial remission (NPR), is the same as CR but with nodules; Partial remission (PR) is > 50% decrease of clinical symptoms from baseline and recovery from blood counts.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01082939
|United States, Texas|
|UT MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|Houston, Texas, United States, 77030|
|Study Chair:||William G. Wierda, MD, PhD, BS||UT MD Anderson Cancer Center|