Evaluation of an Internet-based Intervention for Hazardous Drinkers
|Hazardous Alcohol Consumption||Behavioral: interactive online programme to reduce alcohol consumption Behavioral: Minimum information||Phase 2|
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Single Blind (Participant)
- Change in Weekly Alcohol Intake [ Time Frame: baseline and 6 weeks ]The unit of "standard drink" is a drink containing 10g of pure alcohol. Participants had to report their weekly alcohol intake in a diary, in which they could choose among 21 glasses of various capacities and containing various alcoholic drinks. Each of those glasses was then converted into standard drinks.
- Relative Change in Weekly Alcohol Intake [ Time Frame: baseline and 6 weeks ](6 weeks minus baseline)/baseline
- Category of Change in Weekly Alcohol Intake [ Time Frame: baseline and 6 weeks ]
Category of change in weekly alcohol intake (WAI) is a 3-level categorical variable whose values are:
- clinically significant reduction in WAI, defined as a decrease of 10% or over;
- clinically significant increase in WAI, defined as an increase of 10% or over if WAI at baseline is positive, or any increase if WAI at baseline is 0);
- and no clinically significant change, which includes all other cases.
- Change in the Number of Excessive Drinkers [ Time Frame: baseline and 6 weeks ]The number of excessive drinkers is the number of participants whose weekly alcohol intake exceeds guidelines, i.e. 21 or 14 standard drinks (male/female) per week
|Study Start Date:||October 2009|
|Study Completion Date:||January 2010|
|Primary Completion Date:||January 2010 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Experimental: Web-based alcohol programme
Participants could log on to their account and access the programme whenever they wanted to.
They received automated email reminders inviting them to use follow-up tools, especially the diary in order to register their alcohol intake on the previous week:
Behavioral: interactive online programme to reduce alcohol consumption
The programme includes several steps:
Placebo Comparator: Minimum information
Participants could log on to their account and access the programme whenever they wanted to. At 6 week follow-up they received an automated email reminder inviting them to use the diary in order to register their alcohol intake on the previous week.
Behavioral: Minimum information
This intervention includes:
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01075685
|Principal Investigator:||Juliette Guillemont, MS||Institut national de prevention et d'education pour la sante|