Efficacy and Safety of Combination Therapy of Aliskiren/Amlodipine or Aliskiren/Amlodipine/Hydrochlorothiazide in Patients With Stage II Hypertension (ACADEMY)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01070030|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : February 17, 2010
Last Update Posted : February 23, 2017
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Stage II Hypertension||Drug: Aliskiren/Amlodipine (150/5 mg/day, 300/10 mg/day) , Aliskiren/Amlodipine/Hydrochlorothiazide (300/10/12.5 mg/day, 300/10/25 mg/day)||Phase 4|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||230 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Multi-center, Open Label, 18-week Study to Demonstrate the Efficacy and Safety of Combination Therapy of Aliskiren/Amlodipine or Aliskiren/Amlodipine/Hydrochlorothiazide in Patients With Stage II HT|
|Study Start Date :||January 2010|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||October 2010|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||October 2010|
- Drug: Aliskiren/Amlodipine (150/5 mg/day, 300/10 mg/day) , Aliskiren/Amlodipine/Hydrochlorothiazide (300/10/12.5 mg/day, 300/10/25 mg/day)
The patients were asked for 2 week run-in phase with atenolol 50 mg qd(once a day), followed by 4 schedule visits with 4-week interval until patient achieved BP goal. The maximum follow up was 16-week treatment. At visit 2, the patients started receiving Aliskiren/Amlodipine (150/5mg per day) for 4 weeks. At visit 3, if the patients did not achieve blood pressure (BP) goal, patients were up titrated to Aliskiren/Amlodipine (300/10 mg/day) for 4 weeks. At visit 4, if the patients did not achieve BP goal, HCT 12.5 mg/day was added to Aliskiren/Amlodipine/HCT (300/10/12.5 mg/day) for 4 weeks. Finally at visit 5, if the patients did not achieve BP goal, HCT was up titrated to Aliskiren/Amlodipine/HCT (300/10/25 mg/day) for 4 weeks until visit 6. Once the patients achieved BP goal at any visit, they completed the study.
- Percentage of participants with stage II hypertension achieving blood pressure (BP) goal [ Time Frame: 18 weeks ]The BP goal for non-diabetic patient is defined as msSBP < 140 mmHg and msDBP < 90 mmHg. The BP goal for diabetic patient is msSBP < 130 mmHg and msDBP < 80 mmHg) in patients with stage II hypertension.
- Percentage of participants who have blood pressure surge to their baseline level during 24-h ambulatory blood pressure monitor (ABPM) [ Time Frame: 18 weeks ]24-h ABPM profiles were assessed by percentage of participants who have blood pressure (BP) surge to their baseline level (during 24-h ABPM) once after patients achieve BP goal (BP goal for non-diabetic patient is defined as msSBP < 140 mmHg and msDBP < 90 mmHg; and the BP goal for diabetic patient is msSBP < 130 mmHg and msDBP < 80) at any visit only in selected study sites. The mean 24-hour MADBP (Mean Ambulatory Diastolic Blood Pressure) or MASBP (Mean Ambulatory Systolic Blood Pressure) is defined as the average of the hourly MADBP or MASBP over 24 hours respectively.
- Change in Mean Sitting Systolic Blood Pressure (msSBP) and Mean Sitting Diastolic Blood Pressure (msDBP) from baseline to study end [ Time Frame: From baseline to study completion (between week 8 to 18) ]mSBP and mDBP is defined as an average of 2 points blood pressure measurements which 5 minutes apart. Patient must be at rest for at least 5 minutes in sitting position before the heart rate and blood pressure measurement. The arm for blood pressure measurement should be the same during the whole study.
- Number of participants with responder rate for Mean Sitting Systolic Blood Pressure (msSBP) and Mean Sitting Diastolic Blood Pressure (msDBP) [ Time Frame: 18 weeks ]
The responder rate of msSBP is defined as msSBP < 140 mmHg for non-diabetic patients (msSBP < 130 mmHg for diabetic patients) or by a reduction of ≥ 20 mmHg BP from baseline.
The responder rate of msDBP is defined as msDBP < 90 mmHg for non-diabetic patients ( msDBP < 80 mmHg for diabetic patients) or by a reduction of ≥ 10 mm Hg BP from baseline
- Number of patients with any adverse events [ Time Frame: 18 weeks ]An adverse event can be any unfavorable and unintended sign (including an abnormal laboratory finding), symptom, or disease temporally associated with the use of the study drug, whether or not considered related to the medicinal (investigational) product.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01070030
|Chiang Mai, Thailand|
|Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand|
|Study Director:||Novartis Pharmaceuticals||Novartis Pharmaceuticals|