Phase 3 Study of Immunotherapy to Treat Advanced Prostate Cancer
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01057810|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : January 27, 2010
Results First Posted : August 18, 2016
Last Update Posted : August 18, 2016
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Prostate Cancer||Drug: Ipilimumab Drug: Placebo||Phase 3|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||837 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Quadruple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||Randomized, Double-Blind, Phase 3 Trial to Compare the Efficacy of Ipilimumab vs Placebo in Asymptomatic or Minimally Symptomatic Patients With Metastatic Chemotherapy-Naïve Castration Resistant Prostate Cancer|
|Study Start Date :||July 2010|
|Primary Completion Date :||April 2015|
|Study Completion Date :||July 2015|
5 mg/ml solution, Intravenous, 10 mg/kg, Every 3 weeks for up to 4 doses in the Induction Phase. Every 12 weeks in the Maintenance Phase. Up to 24 weeks in the Induction Phase. Treatment in the Maintenance Phase continues until total treatment period has reached three years,Treatment Stopping Criteria are met, withdrawal of consent, or study closure
|Placebo Comparator: Placebo||
Solution, Intravenous, 0 mg, Every 3 weeks for up to 4 doses in the Induction Phase. Every 12 weeks in the Maintenance Phase. Up to 24 weeks in the Induction Phase. Treatment in the Maintenance Phase continues until total treatment period has reached three years,Treatment Stopping Criteria are met, withdrawal of consent, or study closure
- Overall Survival (OS) Time [ Time Frame: Randomization until death from any cause, up to April 2015, approximately 57 months ]OS was defined as the time from the date of randomization until the date of death. For participants without documentation of death, OS was censored at the last date the participant was known to be alive.
- Progression-Free Survival (PFS) Time [ Time Frame: Randomization until disease progression, up to April 2015, approximately 57 months ]Progression-free survival, as determined by the investigator, was defined as the time from randomization to the earliest date of confirmed Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) progression, confirmed radiological progression, clinical deterioration, or death.
- Time to Subsequent Non-hormonal Cytotoxic Therapy [ Time Frame: Randomization until subsequent non-hormonal cytotoxic therapy, up to April 2015, approximately 57 months ]For participants who discontinued treatment or experienced disease progression while on study therapy and then received subsequent non-hormonal cytotoxic therapy, time to subsequent non-hormonal cytotoxic therapy was defined as the time from randomization to the time of initiation of subsequent non-hormonal cytotoxic therapy. Participants who did not receive subsequent non-hormonal cytotoxic therapy were censored on the last known alive date (for participants who have not died) or the date of last follow-up contact at which the participants was known alive (for participants who died).
- Time to Pain Progression [ Time Frame: Randomization until pain progression, up to April 2015, approximately 57 months ]
Time to pain progression was defined as the time from randomization to the time of the earliest date of any of the following 4 events: 1) an increase in average daily worst pain intensity of >= 2 points from baseline according to the Brief Pain Inventory - Short Form (BPI-SF), maintained over 2 consecutive time periods. 2) initiation of opioid analgesic (excluding codeine or dextropropoxyphene). 3) initiation of palliative radiotherapy for prostate cancer. 4) increase in mean Analgesic Score (AS) of >= 25% from baseline (for participants with baseline AS > 10) or increase in mean AS >= 10 points from baseline (for participants with baseline AS <= 10).
Participants who did not experience any of these events were censored on the earliest date among the latest BPI-SF completion date with non-missing worst pain assessment and last evaluable disease assessment date as defined in the PFS censoring mechanism.
- Number of Participants Who Died or Had Adverse Events (AEs), Serious Adverse Events (SAEs), Immune-related AEs (irAEs), or Immune-mediated Adverse Reactions (imARs) [ Time Frame: Day 1 of study therapy to last dose plus 70 days ]AE=any new unfavorable symptom, sign, or disease or worsening of a preexisting condition that may not have a causal relationship with treatment. SAE=a medical event that at any dose results in death, persistent or significant disability/incapacity, or drug dependency/abuse; is life-threatening, an important medical event, or a congenital anomaly/birth defect; or requires or prolongs hospitalization. irAE=AEs consistent with an immune mediated mechanism. imAR=AEs of special interest that were adjudicated as imAR by investigator. Treatment-related=having certain, probable, possible, or missing relationship to study drug. Grade (Gr) 1=Mild, Gr 2=Moderate, Gr 3=Severe, Gr 4= Potentially Life-threatening or disabling. Events were graded using the National Cancer Institute (NCI) Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events (CTCAE) version 3.0.
- Number of Treated Participants With Grade 3 or 4 Clinical Laboratory Abnormalities [ Time Frame: Randomization up to April 2015, approximately 57 months ]
NCI CTC, Version 3 used to assess parameters. LLN=lower limit of normal. ULN=upper limit of normal. CTC criteria:
White blood cells (WBC): Gr 3:<2.0 to 1.0*10^9/L, Gr 4:<1.0*10^9/L. Absolute neutrophil count (ANC): Gr 3:<1.0 to 0.5*10^9/L, Gr 4:<0.5*10^9/L.
Platelet count: Gr 3:<50.0 to 25.0*10^9/L, Gr 4:<25.0 to 10^9/L. Hemoglobin: Gr 3:<8.0 to 6.5 g/dL, Gr 4:<6.5 g/dL. Absolute Lymphocyte Count (ALC): Gr 3: 0.2 - <0.5*10^9/L, Gr 4: <0.2*10^9/L.
Lipase: Gr 3:> 2.0 - 5.0 * ULN; Gr 4: > 5.0 X ULN. Amylase: Gr 3: > 2.0 - 5.0 * ULN; Gr 4: > 5.0 * ULN. Alanine Aminotransferase (ALT) Gr 3: > 5.0 - 20.0 * ULN; Gr 4: > 20.0 * ULN. Aspartate Aminotransferase (AST): Gr 3: > 5.0 - 20.0 * ULN; Gr 4: > 20.0 * ULN. Bilirubin: Gr 3: > 3.0 - 10.0 * ULN; Gr 4: > 10.0 * ULN. Alkaline Phosphatase: Gr 3: > 5.0 - 20.0 * ULN; Gr 4: > 20.0 * ULN. Creatinine: Gr 3: > 3.0-6.0 * ULN, Gr 4: >6.0 * ULN.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01057810
Show 134 Study Locations
|Study Director:||Bristol-Myers Squibb||Bristol-Myers Squibb|