A Study of Gemcitabine, Capecitabine and Bevacizumab to Treat Cancer of the Gall Bladder or Bile Ducts
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01007552|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : November 4, 2009
Results First Posted : March 29, 2017
Last Update Posted : March 29, 2017
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Cholangiocarcinoma||Drug: Gemcitabine, Capecitabine and Bevacizumab||Phase 2|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||50 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Multicenter Phase II Study of Gemcitabine, Capecitabine and Bevacizumab for Locally Advanced or Metastatic Adenocarcinoma of the Gall Bladder or Biliary Ducts.|
|Study Start Date :||December 2009|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||May 2015|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||May 2015|
Experimental: Gemcitabine, Capecitabine and Bevacizumab
Estimate the toxicity of the regimen, and estimate the quality of life (QOL).
Drug: Gemcitabine, Capecitabine and Bevacizumab
Bevacizumab 15 mg/ kg every 3 weeks, starting day 1; Capecitabine 650 mg/m2 bid x 14 days starting day 1, Gemcitabine 1000 mg/m2 days 1 and 8, cycles to be repeated every 21 days.
- The Primary Objective of This Study is to Assess Progression Free Survival (PFS) With Proposed Therapy for Patients With Locally Advanced or Metastatic Gallbladder and Biliary Cancers. [ Time Frame: From date of randomization until the date of first documented progression or date of death from any cause, whichever came first, assessed up to 5 years ]Progression will be evaluated in this study using the international criteria proposed by the Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors (RECIST 1.0). Changes in only the largest diameter (unidimensional measurement) of the tumor lesions are used in the RECIST criteria. Note: Lesions are either measurable or non-measurable using the criteria provided below. The term "evaluable" in reference to measurability will not be used because it does not provide additional meaning or accuracy.
- Estimate the Proportion of Patients With Clinical Response [ Time Frame: From date of randomization until the date of first documented progression or date of death from any cause, whichever came first, assessed up to 5 years ]Per Response Evaluation Criteria In Solid Tumors Criteria (RECIST v1.0) for target lesions and assessed by MRI: Complete Response (CR), Disappearance of all target lesions; Partial Response (PR), >=30% decrease in the sum of the longest diameter of target lesions; Overall Response (OR) = CR + PR.
- Assess the Toxicity of the Regimen. [ Time Frame: up to 5 years ]Number of patients with Serious Adverse Events. Please refer to the adverse event reporting for more detail.
- Assess the Change in the Quality of Life Among Patients Using the FACT-Hep (Version 4) for Hepatobiliary Cancers. [ Time Frame: Baseline, Day 22 and Day 43 ]
We utilized the FACT-HEP TOTAL SCORE (version 4) quality-of-life scale, which is a 45 item scale ranging from 96-178. Higher scores of the reflect better quality of life.
For a Detailed description see:
Nancy Heffernan, David Cella, Kimberly Webster, Linda Odom, Mary Martone, Steven Passik, Marilyn Bookbinder, Yuman Fong, William Jarnagin, and Leslie Blumgart: Measuring Health-Related Quality of Life in Patients With Hepatobiliary Cancers: The Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy-Hepatobiliary Questionnaire. Journal of Clinical Oncology, Vol 20, No 9 (May 1), 2002: pp 2229-2239.
No subscales were analyzed.
- Assess Overall Survival (OS) [ Time Frame: From date of randomization until the date of first documented progression or date of death from any cause, whichever came first, assessed up to 5 years ]
- Circulating Tumor Cells (CTC) Will be Assessed at Baseline, Day 22 and Day 43 [ Time Frame: baseline, day 22 and day 43 ]Mean number of CTCs in 7.5 ml of whole blood
- Collect Samples at Baseline, Day 8 and Day 43 for Future Biomarker Studies and Development of Profiles of Responders to Anti-VEGF Therapy (Optional) [ Time Frame: Baseline, day 8 and day 43 ]This was a tissue banking end point of sample collection for future studies. No analysis was completed.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01007552
|United States, New York|
|Roswell Park Cancer Institute|
|Buffalo, New York, United States, 14263|
|United States, Ohio|
|Ohio State University|
|Columbus, Ohio, United States, 43210|
|Principal Investigator:||Renuka Iyer, MD||Roswell Park Cancer Institute|