Acute Graft-versus-Host Disease Treatment (BMT CTN 0802)
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01002742|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : October 27, 2009
Results First Posted : May 27, 2016
Last Update Posted : October 27, 2017
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Graft-versus-Host Disease Immune System Disorders||Drug: Mycophenolate Mofetil Drug: Placebo||Phase 3|
Corticosteroids have been used as primary therapy for acute GVHD for many years. Historical published and unpublished data from Johns Hopkins, M. D. Anderson, University of Michigan and others defined an expected 35%-53% complete response (CR) at Day +28 of corticosteroid therapy for previously untreated patients with acute GVHD.
BMT CTN study 0302 (NCT00224874)was a randomized Phase II study evaluating etanercept, mycophenolate mofetil, denileukin diftitox or pentostatin in addition to corticosteroids. The results of that study suggested that mycophenolate mofetil produced the highest rates of CR at Day 28 and overall survival, supporting its evaluation in a Phase III study. Day 56 GVHD-free survival for the four treatment arms (all combining corticosteroids with one of the four study drugs) ranged from 39-71% across the four study arms.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||236 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Triple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator)|
|Official Title:||A Multi-Center, Randomized, Double Blind, Phase III Trial Evaluating Corticosteroids With Mycophenolate Mofetil vs. Corticosteroids With Placebo as Initial Systemic Treatment of Acute Graft-Vs-Host-Disease (BMT CTN #0802)|
|Actual Study Start Date :||January 2010|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||January 2012|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||June 2013|
Corticosteroids with placebo
Oral dosing should be delivered in 250 mg units blinded placebo. For those < 40 kg, IV dosing should be within ± 10% of the exact dose. Intravenous doses are infused over a two-hour period.
Other Name: Inactive drug
Experimental: Mycophenolate Mofetil
Corticosteroids with Mycophenolate Mofetil
Drug: Mycophenolate Mofetil
Oral dosing should be delivered in 250 mg units. For those < 40 kg, IV dosing should be within ± 10% of the exact dose. Intravenous doses are infused over a two-hour period.
- GVHD-free Survival [ Time Frame: Day 56 ]Success is defined as alive and free of GVHD at day 56 after randomization, all others are considered to be a study failure.
- Percentage of Surviving Participants With Complete Response (CR) [ Time Frame: Days 14, 28, and 56 ]CR is defined as a score of 0 for the GVHD grading in all evaluable organs.
- Incidence of GVHD Flares Requiring Increased Therapy [ Time Frame: Day 90 ]Flares are defined as any progression of acute GVHD after an initial response (i.e., earlier CR or PR) that requires re-escalation of steroid dosing, or initiation of additional topical or systemic therapy.
- Incidence of Discontinuation of Immune Suppression Without Flare [ Time Frame: Day 56, Day 180 and Day 360 post-treatment ]
- Cumulative Steroid Dose [ Time Frame: Days 28 and 56 ]The cumulative steroid dose for each patient will be calculated by adding the doses (end of each week's dose) for each of the first four weeks of treatment, divided by the number of days of survival during this interval. The cumulative steroid dose was calculated for all patients per treatment arm and compared.
- Incidence of Topical/Non-absorbable Therapy [ Time Frame: Day 56 ]
- Overall GVHD-free Survival Post-randomization [ Time Frame: Months 6 and 12 ]
- Incidence of Chronic GVHD [ Time Frame: 12 months post-randomization ]
- Incidence of Systemic Infections [ Time Frame: 6 Months ]Number of participants that experienced at least one infection.
- Incidence of Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV)-Associated Lymphoma [ Time Frame: 12 months ]
- Incidence of Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Reactivation [ Time Frame: Year 1 ]
- Cumulative Incidence of a Severe/Life-threatening/Fatal Infections [ Time Frame: Year 1 ]
- Disease-Free Survival (DFS) Post-Randomization [ Time Frame: Year 1 ]DFS includes death or progression/relapse of malignancy
- Treatment Related Mortality (TRM) [ Time Frame: Year 1 ]
- Change in Patient Reported Outcomes From Enrollment to Day 56 [ Time Frame: Day 56 ]
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01002742
Show 36 Study Locations
|Study Director:||Mary Horowitz, MD||Center for International Blood and Marrow Transplant Research|