Fluticasone Furoate Treatment of Daytime Somnolence and Cognitive Performance in Seasonal Allergic Rhinitis
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00997620|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : October 19, 2009
Results First Posted : May 18, 2018
Last Update Posted : May 18, 2018
Western Sky Medical Research
Information provided by (Responsible Party):
Lyndon Mansfield, Western Sky Medical Research
The hypothesis is that treating hay fever patients who had daytime sleepiness and slowed thinking because of the hay fever will improve when treated with an effective anti-hay fever medication, an intranasal steroid, that is will have less daytime sleepiness and demonstrate better thinking.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Seasonal Allergic Rhinitis||Drug: Fluticasone furoate Nasal Spray 110 mcg Drug: Placebo||Phase 4|
In this study of patients with seasonal allergic rhinitis we will monitor daytime sleepiness as measured by validated daytime sleep score (Eppworth Daytime Sleepiness Scale) and cognitive performance weekly as measured by a validated test of cognitive performance (TOVA). The treatment group with intervention of fluticasone furoate nasal spray 110 mcg two sprays in each nostril once daily will be compared to a placebo treated group of similar subjects with seasonal allergic rhinitis.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||40 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Double (Participant, Investigator)|
|Official Title:||A Double Blind, Placebo Controlled Randomized Trial Evaluating the Effects of Fluticasone Nasal Spray in Subjects With Seasonal Allergic Rhinitis and a History of Sleep Disturbance on Cognitive Performance and Daytime Sleepiness|
|Study Start Date :||March 2010|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||September 2010|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||October 2010|
Placebo Comparator: Placebo
Placebo treatment given as a once daily dose intranasally.in subjects with active seasonal allergic rhinitis.
Fluticasone nasal spray 2 sprays each nostril will be compared to similar appearing placebo. The subjects will receive one week placebo nasal spray to establish a baseline then they will then be switched to a nasal spray of Placebo once daily and continue the evaluations.
Other Name: Placebo Veramyst Nasal Spray
Experimental: Fluticasone Furoate
IFluticasone Furoate 110 mcg given intranasly once daily in am as an active treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis
Drug: Fluticasone furoate Nasal Spray 110 mcg
Fluticasone fuorate nasal spray 110 mcg 2 sprays each nostril am will be compared to similar appearing placebo given 2 sprays each nostril am. The subjects will receive one week placebo nasal spray to establish a baseline then they will then be switched to a nasal spray of fluticasone furoate 110 mcg once daily and continue the evaluations.
Other Name: Fluticasone Furoate Nasal Spray
Primary Outcome Measures :
- Performance on Test of Variables of Attention (TOVA) - a Standardized Test of Cognitive Performance [ Time Frame: over 2 weeks ]The outcomes measures for TOVA are errors of omission. Targets which were not identified. Errors of commission are when targets are identified incorrectly. Reaction time is reported as the average time in milliseconds for the responses. The results are reported as mean and standard deviation as baseline and after 2 weeks of intervention. The difference between the means was evaluated by paired t testing.
- Performance on Test of Variables of Attention (TOVA) - a Standardized Test of Cognitive Performance, Errors of Commission. [ Time Frame: after 2 weeks intervention ]The outcomes measures for TOVA are errors of commission. Targets which were identified incorrectly. Targets which are not identified, errors of omission and average time of each target viewing.
- Performance on Test of Variables of Attention (TOVA) - a Standardized Test of Cognitive Performance, Response Time for Targets. [ Time Frame: over 2 weeks ]The outcomes measures for TOVA are the length of time to respond to targets. The time function represents the average time spent in milliseconds spent on each target.
Secondary Outcome Measures :
- Change in Epworth Sleep Scale [ Time Frame: Baseline and after 2 weeks intervention ]The Epworth sleepiness scale measures is a validated test of daytime sleepiness which involved the subjects answering 8 questions. Each question is answered on a 0 - 3 scale with 3 being the most likely associated with drowsiness. The score is reported as a composite score of 8 questions, with a minimum score of 0 and a maximum score of 24. A higher composite score represents more likelihood of daytime sleepiness. It is administered between 1500 and 1700 daily.
- Change From Baseline in Nocturnal Rhinoconjunctivitis Quality of Life Questionaire [ Time Frame: 2 weeks ]In nocturnal rhinoconjunctivitis quality of life questionnaire instrument to measure the effects of nasal disorder on nighttime sleep and awakening. It consists of 16 questions. The scale is from 0-6, 0 being not troubled and 6 reflecting extreme trouble. This survey is interpreted as a minimal clinically important difference of each question. A change of +/- 0.5 is a threshold of minimally important clinical difference. Higher value mean more disturbance.
- Nasal Symptom Scores [ Time Frame: 2 weeks ]Total nasal symptom score was measured AM and PM. The reflective scale measures subjective symptoms over the previous 12 hours. Instantaneous symptoms measure how subjects felt at the present time. The score consists of subjective perception of nasal congestion, rhinorrhea, nasal itching and sneezing. The scale for each symptom is 0 - not present, 1- mild (present but minimal), 2 - moderate (symptoms are bothersome but tolerable), 3 - severe (symptoms are not tolerable). The baseline value was the mean of the 7 day placebo run-in for the combined scores. This was calculated for the placebo group and the fluticasone group for both the instantaneous and the reflective scores. The intervention time utilized the same combined AM and PM reflective and instantaneous scoring. The data was analyzed using two sample t test comparison of the placebo vs fluticasone furoate group. Low value, less symptoms. High value, more symptoms. Minimum score is 0. Maximum score is 24.
No Contacts or Locations Provided