Study Using WST11 in Patients With Non-Resectable or Inoperable Cholangiocarcinoma
The aim of this study is to evaluate the safety of Vascular Targeted Photodynamic therapy with WST11 in patients with non-resectable or inoperable biliary carcinoma.
|Study Design:||Endpoint Classification: Safety/Efficacy Study
Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Evaluation of the Safety and Efficacy of WST11-mediated Vascular Targeted Photodynamic Therapy in Non-resectable or Inoperable Cholangiocarcinoma|
- Evaluation of the safety based on analysis of adverse events (clinical laboratory tests, electrocardiogram, physical examination, absence of local or general complications and phototoxicity) of WST11 in inoperable or non resectable cholangiocarcinoma [ Time Frame: Patient inclusion - Month 6 ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]
- Evaluation of the antitumor efficacy of WST11-mediated VTP therapy by comparing the objective response rate on the tumor. [ Time Frame: Month 1, Month 3 & Month 6 ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Evaluation of the effect of WST11-mediated VTP therapy on cholestasis and on the incidence of biliary complications of obstructive origin. [ Time Frame: Month 1, Month 3 & Month 6 ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]
- Evaluation of the effect of treatment on patient quality of life QLQ-C30. [ Time Frame: Month 1, Month 3 & Month 6 ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Evaluation of the global survival after WST11-mediated VTP [ Time Frame: Month 6 ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]
|Study Start Date:||September 2009|
|Study Completion Date:||September 2012|
|Primary Completion Date:||June 2011 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Treatment with WST11-mediated VTP
WST11-mediated VTP will consist of the combination of a single IV administration of WST11 at doses of 2.5 and 5 mg/kg, using 753nm laser light at a fixed power (150 mW/cm) and light energy (200 J/cm). Illumination in the bile duct is performed by inserting a diffusing fiber, with cylindrical uniform light distribution, in a transparent standard ERCP catheter and by positioning, under radioscopy, the illumination tip of the diffusing fiber in front of the lesion.
Other Name: WST11-mediated VTP
This is an open-label, prospective, multicentre, phase IIa study, evaluating a new therapeutic agent in the management of patients suffering from inoperable or non resectable biliary carcinoma. The patients will receive the dose of WST11 according to order of inclusion. The first 3 patients will receive 2.5 mg/kg. In the absence of toxicity, the following 9 patients will receive the dose of 5 mg/kg.
The patient is to receive anesthesia. WST11-mediated therapy will consist of the combination of single IV administration of WST11 at doses of 2.5mg/kg or 5mg/kg, using 753nm laser light at a fixed power of (150mW/cm) and light energy (200 J/cm) delivered through a diffusing fiber. The fiber is introduced in a transparent standard ERCP catheter and positioned under radioscopy in front of the lesion.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00975039
|Clinique de l'Alma|
|Principal Investigator:||Emmanuel Ben Soussan, MD||Clinique de l'Alma|