S9304A Study of Protein Expression in Tumor Tissue Samples From Patients With Stage II or Stage III Rectal Cancer Enrolled in Clinical Trial SWOG-9304
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00972751|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : September 7, 2009
Last Update Posted : September 30, 2015
RATIONALE: Studying samples of tumor tissue from patients with cancer in the laboratory may help doctors learn more about changes that occur in DNA and identify biomarkers related to cancer. It may also help doctors predict how patients will respond to treatment.
PURPOSE: This research study is looking at protein expression in tumor tissue samples from patients with stage II or stage III rectal cancer enrolled in clinical trial SWOG-9304.
|Condition or disease|
- Determine expression levels of thioredoxin-1 (Trx-1), thioredoxin-interacting protein (TXNIP), and hypoxia inducible factor-1 alpha (HIF-1α) in paraffin-embedded resected tumor tissue samples from patients with stage II or III rectal cancer enrolled in clinical trial SWOG-9304.
- Determine if there is a correlation between Trx-1 and TXNIP expression and HIF-1α expression.
- Correlate expression of these proteins with tumor stage, disease-free survival, overall survival, and risk of recurrence.
- Determine interactions for patient age, performance status, and type of therapy received on clinical trial SWOG-9304.
OUTLINE: This is a multicenter study.
Paraffin-embedded resected tumor tissue samples are analyzed for protein expression levels (thioredoxin-1, thioredoxin-interacting protein, and hypoxia inducible factor-1 alpha) by tissue microarray and immunostaining.
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Actual Enrollment :||220 participants|
|Official Title:||Investigation of Thioredoxin-1 Family Protein Expression in Rectal Cancer|
|Study Start Date :||February 2009|
|Primary Completion Date :||September 2010|
|Study Completion Date :||September 2010|
- Expression of thioredoxin-1, thioredoxin-interacting protein, and hypoxia inducible factor-1 alpha [ Time Frame: upon testing of specimens ]
- Correlation of expression of these proteins with tumor stage, disease-free survival, overall survival, and risk of recurrence [ Time Frame: upon provision of expression to Statistical Center ]
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00972751
|Study Chair:||Tomislav Dragovich, MD, PhD||University of Arizona|