Clazosentan in Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage (CONSCIOUS-3)
The aim of this study is to demonstrate that clazosentan, administered as a continuous intravenous infusion at either 5 mg/h or 15 mg/h until Day 14 post aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage (aSAH), reduces the incidence of cerebral vasospasm-related morbidity and all-cause mortality within 6 weeks post-aSAH treated by endovascular coiling.
The primary endpoint of the study is the occurrence of cerebral vasospasm-related morbidity, and mortality of all-causes within 6 weeks post-aSAH, defined by at least one of the following:
- Death (all causes).
- New cerebral infarct(s) due to cerebral vasospasm as either the primary or relevant contributing cause, or not adjudicated to be entirely due to causes other than vasospasm.
- Delayed ischemic neurological deficit (DIND) due to cerebral vasospasm as either the primary or relevant contributing cause, or not adjudicated to be entirely due to causes other than vasospasm.
- Administration of a valid rescue therapy in the presence of confirmed cerebral vasospasm on angiography (DSA or CTA).
An independent Critical Events Committee (CEC) will adjudicate whether or not patients meet the primary endpoint and its individual morbidity components.
|Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage||Drug: Clazosentan Drug: Placebo||Phase 3|
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Quadruple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||A Prospective, Multi-center, Double-blind, Randomized, Placebo-controlled, Parallel-group Study to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of Clazosentan in Reducing Vasospasm-related Morbidity and All-cause Mortality in Adult Patients With Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage Treated by Endovascular Coiling.|
- Cerebral vasospasm-related morbidity and mortality of all-causes as defined by the protocol [ Time Frame: Within 6 weeks post-aSAH ]
- Glasgow Outcome Scale Extended (GOSE) at Week 12 post-aSAH, dichotomized into good (score > 4) and poor (score ≤ 4) outcome. [ Time Frame: Week 12 post-aSAH ]
|Study Start Date:||July 2009|
|Study Completion Date:||January 2011|
|Primary Completion Date:||October 2010 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
|Experimental: Clazosentan, 5mg/h||
Other Name: AXV-034343
|Experimental: Clazosentan 15mg/h||
Other Name: AXV-034343
|Placebo Comparator: Placebo||
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00940095
Show 145 Study Locations
|Study Director:||Sebastien Roux, MD||Actelion|