A Phase 3 Efficacy Study Of Dimebon In Patients With Moderate To Severe Alzheimer's Disease
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00912288|
Recruitment Status : Terminated (See termination reason in detailed description.)
First Posted : June 3, 2009
Results First Posted : October 2, 2012
Last Update Posted : October 2, 2012
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Alzheimer Disease||Drug: Dimebon 20 mg po TID Drug: Placebo po TID||Phase 3|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||86 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Triple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator)|
|Official Title:||A Phase 3, Multi-Center, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled 26-Week Trial To Evaluate The Efficacy And Safety Of Dimebon In Patients With Moderate-To-Severe Alzheimer's Disease|
|Study Start Date :||September 2009|
|Primary Completion Date :||August 2010|
|Study Completion Date :||August 2010|
Drug: Dimebon 20 mg po TID
Dimebon 10 mg po TID for 1 week followed by Dimebon 20 mg TID for 25 weeks
|Placebo Comparator: Placebo||
Drug: Placebo po TID
Placebo (matched to Dimebon) po for 26 weeks
- Change From Baseline in the Severe Impairment Battery (SIB) Score at Week 26 [ Time Frame: Baseline, Week 26 ]SIB developed for evaluation of cognitive function in participants, who demented to a degree that they cannot complete conventional neuropsychological testing. Test items consisted of simple, one-step commands presented with gestural cues and instructions that were repeated if necessary. SIB test consisted of 51-item scale, divided into 9 subscales: social interaction (0-6), memory (0-14), orientation (0-6), language (0-46), attention (0-6), praxis(0-8), visuospatial ability(0-8), construction(0-4), orienting to name(0-2). Total possible score:0-100; lower score = greater cognitive impairment.
- Change From Baseline in the Alzheimer's Disease Cooperative Study - Activities of Daily Living (Severe) (ADCS-ADLsev) Score at Week 26 [ Time Frame: Baseline, Week 26 ]ADCS-ADLsev: 19-item scale measures basic and instrumental abilities in participant population and had good metric properties and reliability in detecting change. Individual score range: 0 to 5 for telephone, 0 to 4 for dressing, watch television, get around outside home, 0 to 3 for eating, walking, toilet, bathing, grooming, conversation/small talk, clear dishes, find personal belongings, obtain beverages, dispose of garbage, left on own, 0 to 1 for run water from and turn off faucet to wash hands, turn on and off light. Total score range: 0 to 54 lower scores=greater functional impairment.
- Change From Baseline in the Neuropsychiatric Inventory (NPI) Total Score at Week 26 [ Time Frame: Baseline, Week 26 ]NPI:12-domain caregiver assessment of behavioral disturbances occurring in dementia: delusions, hallucinations, agitation/aggression, depression/dysphoria, anxiety, elation/euphoria, apathy/indifference, disinhibition, irritability/lability, motor disturbance, appetite/eating, nighttime behavior. Severity(1=Mild to 3=Severe),frequency(1=occasionally to 4=very frequently) scales recorded for each domain; frequency*severity=each domain score(range 0-12). Total score=sum of each domain score(range 0-144);higher score=greater behavioral disturbances;negative change score from baseline=improvement.
- Sum of the Delusions and Hallucinations Sub-domain Scores of the NPI [ Time Frame: Week 26 ]NPI is a 12-domain caregiver assessment of behavioral disturbances occurring in dementia. Severity (1=Mild to 3=Severe) and frequency (1=occasionally to 4=very frequently) scales were recorded separately for each domain and their product gives individual domain score (range 0-12). Sum of delusions and hallucinations sub-domain scores of NPI was calculated as a measure of Alzheimer's Disease (AD) related psychosis. Total possible score range: 0-24 with higher score indicating greater behavioral disturbances.
- Change From Baseline in the Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE) Score at Week 26 [ Time Frame: Baseline, Week 26 ]MMSE measured general cognitive functioning: orientation, memory, attention, concentration, naming, repetition, comprehension, and ability to create a sentence and to copy two intersecting polygons. Total score derived from sub-scores; total ranged from 0 to 30, higher score indicates better cognitive state.
- Clinician's Interview-Based Impression of Change Plus Caregiver Input (CIBIC-plus) Scores [ Time Frame: Week 26 ]Alzheimer's Disease Cooperative Study-Clinical Global Impression of Change (ADCS-CGIC) version of CIBIC-Plus was used to assess participant's overall disease severity. The corresponding baseline assessment rated participant on 7-point scale: (1) extremely severe AD to (7) no symptoms of AD. Overall impression of change from baseline was rated on a 7-point scale: 1=marked improvement; 2=moderate improvement; 3=minimal improvement; 4=no change; 5=minimal worsening; 6=moderate worsening; 7=marked worsening; all assessments are relative to baseline. Higher score = worsening of global function.
- Resource Utilization in Dementia-Lite Version (RUD-Lite) [ Time Frame: Baseline, Weeks 12, 18, 26 ]RUD Lite: instrument used to assess amount of both formal and informal resources used by demented participants and primary caregiver. It was completed by caregivers and compiles data on following resources: use of social services, frequency and duration of hospitalizations, all contacts with health care professionals, participant living accommodations, amount of time the caregiver spends giving care and the impact of care giving on the caregiver's job. Overall cost of care was evaluated to quantify resources utilized.
- Euro Quality of Life - 5 Domain (EQ-5D) Assessment [ Time Frame: Baseline, Weeks 12, 26 ]EQ-5D: participant rated questionnaire to assess health-related quality of life in terms of a single utility score. Health State Profile component assesses level of current health for 5 domains: mobility, self-care, usual activities, pain and discomfort, and anxiety and depression; 1 indicates better health state (no problems); 3 indicates worst health state. Total possible score ranged from 5 to 15; lower score indicated a better health state.
- Population Pharmacokinetic (PK) Analysis [ Time Frame: Pre-dose, 0.5 to 1.5 hours, 2.5 to 3.5 hours post-dose at Week 12 ]Data for this Outcome Measure are not reported here because the analysis population includes participants who were not enrolled in this study. ClinicalTrials.gov is designed for reporting results from only those participants who were enrolled in the study and described in the Participant Flow and Baseline Characteristics modules.
- Number of Participants With Adverse Events (AEs) [ Time Frame: Baseline up to Week 30 (follow-up) ]Any untoward medical occurrence (including clinially important changes in clinical safety laboratory assessments, electrocardiograms and vital signs) in a participant who received study treatment was considered an AE without regard to possibility of causal relationship.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00912288
Show 47 Study Locations
|Study Director:||Pfizer CT.gov Call Center||Pfizer|