Study of Circulating Cancer Cells in Patients With Metastatic Breast, Ovarian, Colon, or Pancreatic Cancer
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00898781|
Recruitment Status : Terminated (Due to poor accrual)
First Posted : May 12, 2009
Last Update Posted : July 19, 2011
RATIONALE: Counting the number of circulating cancer cells in samples of blood from patients with metastatic cancer may help doctors find out how much the cancer has spread.
PURPOSE: This research study is looking at the number of circulating cancer cells in patients with metastatic breast cancer, ovarian cancer, colon cancer, or pancreatic cancer.
|Condition or disease|
|Breast Cancer Colorectal Cancer Ovarian Cancer Pancreatic Cancer|
- To assess frequency of circulating tumor cells (CTCs) in patients with metastatic ovarian, breast, pancreatic, and colon cancers.
- To assess the variability in number of CTCs between patients with the same tumor type.
- To correlate the number of CTCs with extent of tumor burden as measured by tumor markers, imaging, and the number of metastatic sites and proliferation and apoptotic markers.
OUTLINE: Blood samples are collected before treatment and analyzed using molecular detection techniques to detect circulating cancer cells. Samples are assessed by immunofluorescence for markers of proliferation and survival (e.g., EGFR, phosphorylated EGFR, AKT, phosphorylated AKT, cytokeratins, MAPK, Src, and FAK).
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Estimated Enrollment :||80 participants|
|Official Title:||Molecular Detection of Circulating Cancer Cells in Breast, Ovarian, Colon and Pancreatic Cancer|
|Study Start Date :||November 2007|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||April 2010|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||April 2010|
|Metastatic Breast Cancer|
|Metastatic Ovarian Cancer|
|Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer|
|Metastatic Colon Cancer|
|Stage 3 Ovarian Cancer|
|Locally Advanced Pancreatic Cancer|
- Frequency of circulating cancer cells (CTC) [ Time Frame: 1 day ]
- Variability in number of CTCs between patients with the same tumor type [ Time Frame: 1 day ]
- Correlation of the number of CTCs with extent of tumor burden as measured by tumor markers, imaging, and the number of metastatic sites and proliferation and apoptotic markers [ Time Frame: 1 day ]
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00898781
|United States, Minnesota|
|Rochester, Minnesota, United States, 55905|
|Principal Investigator:||Charles Erlichman, MD||Mayo Clinic|