Cost Effectiveness of Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00884130|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : April 20, 2009
Last Update Posted : April 20, 2009
Hypothesis: The total costs of laparoscopic colorectal surgery are less than those of open surgery.
Secondary hypothesis: Patients quality of life is higher following laparoscopic surgery, as compared to open colorectal surgery.
- To estimate the cost implications and clinical benefits of incorporating laparoscopic colorectal surgery into routine clinical practice.
- To examine whether the increased operative costs of laparoscopic surgery are compensated for by a faster recovery, shorter duration of hospital stay, and a reduction in late complications, as compared to open surgery.
- To investigate whether there are differences in quality of life following laparoscopic colorectal surgery as compared to open surgery.
Patients needing an operation for a bowel problem have traditionally had an open operation with an incision on the abdomen, and this is the type of operation that is currently performed in the majority of cases in the United Kingdom today (over 90%). Laparoscopic (or keyhole) surgery has been introduced into bowel surgery, but is currently not widely performed. This is because thus far there have been no clear-cut benefits demonstrated with this technique and the perceived costs are higher than an open operation. The investigators aim to evaluate both of these issues.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment|
|Colorectal Surgery||Procedure: laparoscopic colorectal resection Procedure: open colorectal resection|
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Actual Enrollment :||200 participants|
|Official Title:||Cost Effectiveness of Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery|
|Study Start Date :||January 2006|
|Primary Completion Date :||August 2007|
|Study Completion Date :||October 2007|
Patients having a laparoscopic colorectal resection
|Procedure: laparoscopic colorectal resection|
Patients having an open colorectal resection
|Procedure: open colorectal resection|
- The cost effectiveness of laparoscopic colorectal surgery [ Time Frame: 6 weeks ]
- Costs of laparoscopic and open colorectal surgery [ Time Frame: 6 weeks ]
- Quality of life of patients having laparoscopic and open colorectal surgery [ Time Frame: 6 weeks ]
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00884130
|Royal Surrey County Hospital|
|Guildford, Surrey, United Kingdom, GU2 7XX|
|Principal Investigator:||Henry m Dowson, MBBS FRCS||Minimal Access Therapy Training Unit|
|Study Chair:||Timothy Rockall, MBBS FRCS||Minimal Access Therapy Training Unit|