Interdisciplinary Study of Two Novel Anticonvulsants in Alcoholism
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00862563|
Recruitment Status : Terminated (Recruitment goals could not be met before ending of funding for this project.)
First Posted : March 17, 2009
Results First Posted : April 7, 2015
Last Update Posted : April 28, 2015
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Alcoholism Alcohol Dependence Alcohol Abuse||Drug: Topiramate Drug: Zonisamide Drug: Levetiracetam Drug: Sugar Pill||Phase 2|
This is a double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel group design study with 4 treatment groups; levetiracetam, zonisamide, topiramate, and placebo control. This study evaluated the effects of zonisamide (400 mg per day) on alcohol consumption and its neurotoxic effects in subjects with AUDS. A double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial was conducted using two comparator anticonvulsant drugs, topiramate (300 mg daily) and levetiracetam (2000 mg/day), which does not impair cognition. Topiramate was used as an active control in this study.
Study medications were administered for 14 weeks, including a 2-week taper period. Target maintenance doses of study medications were administered to subjects during study weeks 8-12. Dosage reductions were made if needed to allow subjects to tolerate their study medication. During the medication taper phase of the study (Weeks 13-14) the Principal Investigator is allowed flexibility in the titration schedule in instances when the subject is experiencing events consistent with withdrawal, for example anxiety. Neurotoxicity of study drugs was assessed using neuropsychological tests and the AB-Neurotoxicity scale.
An adaptive randomization procedures with sex and heavy drinking history being factors in the assignment of subjects to the treatment groups. will be done using sex and very heavy drinking. Very heavy drinking is defined as male subjects consuming more then 10 standard drinks per day and female subjects consuming more then 8 standard drinks per day for more then 40 percent of the days in the screening TLFB.
Medication adherence was facilitated using Brief Behavioral Compliance Enhancement Treatment. It is a brief, standardized therapy that emphasizes medication adherence as being crucial to the improvement of drinking behavior.
Subject assessments included, but were not limited to the following:
1) TLFB, 2) Adverse Events (AEs) assessment ,3) A-B Neurotoxicity Scale (weeks 1,4,8,12,15),and 4) Neuropsychological battery Assessments- including the Controlled Word Association Test (COWAT) and Digit and Spatial Span portions of the Wechsler Memory Scale- 3rd (weeks 1,12).
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||85 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Double (Participant, Investigator)|
|Official Title:||A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel Group Design Trial of; Levetiracetam, Zonisamide, Topiramate, and Placebo Control for the Treatment of Alcohol Dependent Subjects.|
|Study Start Date :||May 2009|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||August 2013|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||August 2013|
Encapsulated zonisamide with a target maintenance doses of 400 mg/day administered as 4 capsules per day.
Zonisamide will be administered orally twice daily beginning on Day 1, Week 1 and continue through Day 7, Week 14. Subjects will be dose titrated as tolerated to a target doses of 2000 400 mg of zonisamide.
Other Name: zonegran
Encapsulated levetiracetam with a target maintenance doses of 2000 mg/day administered as 4 capsules per day .
Levetiracetam will be administered orally twice daily beginning on Day 1, Week 1 and continue through Day 7, Week 14. Subjects will be dose titrated as tolerated to a target doses of 2000 mg levetiracetam capsules.
Other Name: Keppra
Active Comparator: Topiramate
Encapsulated topiramate with a target maintenance doses of 300 mg/day administered as 4 capsules per day .
Topiramate will be administered orally twice daily beginning on Day 1, Week 1 and continue through Day 7, Week 14. Subjects will be dose titrated as tolerated to a target doses 300 mg topiramate.
Other Name: Topamax
Placebo Comparator: Sugar Pill
Encapsulated sugar pill with a target maintenance dose administered as 4 capsules per day.
Drug: Sugar Pill
Matched placebo will be administered orally twice daily beginning on Day 1, Week 1 and continue through Day 7, Week 14.
Other Name: Placebo
- The Primary Efficacy Measure is the Mean Number of Drinks Consumed Per Day Over the Period From Treatment Weeks 10 Through 12 When All Study Medications Should be at Their Maximum Steady Levels Based on Their Known Pharmacokinetic Properties. [ Time Frame: Weeks 10, 11, 12 ]Mean standard drinks consumed per day for each treatment week, weeks 10 thru 12. Actual mean values obtained are shown. Analyses are based on model generated least squares means for a two -way repeated measures mixed models analysis for data obtained for weeks 1 through 12, with baseline values used as covariates. Week (time) was used as the within subject factor and treatment group was the between group factor.
- AB-Neurotoxicity Scale. [ Time Frame: Week 12 ]Total Scores AB-Neurotoxicity Scale Week 12. This scale provides subject ratings of anticonvulsant neurotoxic effects. Scores may range 0 to 72, with possibility of an additional 30 points being for complaints not listed in the list of complaints provides. Total scores, therefore, may be as high as 102, with higher scores indicating greater severity of problems. Actual mean scores are shown. Means for the analysis are least means squares values obtained from a two-way repeated measures mixed models analysis, with Week (time) as the the within subject factor and treatment as the between group factor. Baseline values were used as covariates.
- Mean Percent Days Heavy Drinking [ Time Frame: Weeks 10, 11, 12 ]Mean weekly values for each treatment group for percent days heavy drinking. Heavy drinking was defined as 4 or more drinks per day for women and 5 or more drinks per day for men.
- Percent Days Drinking [ Time Frame: Weeks 10, 11, 12 ]Mean percent days drinking for Weeks 10, 11, 12. A drinking day is considered to be a day in which 1 or more drinks have been consumed. Means are model generated least means squares values obtained from a two-way repeated measures analysis from data obtained from Weeks 1 through 12, with Week as the within subject factor and treatment group as the between group factor.
- Controlled Word Association Test (COWAT)- Letter Fluency [ Time Frame: Baseline & Week 12 ]Number of words generated that start with a set of 3 letters. The COWAT provides a measure of verbal fluency. Actual means for COWAT results are shown.
- COWAT-Category [ Time Frame: Baseline, Week12 ]Number of words produced by subjects over 60 seconds for a semantic category (Animals). The COAWAT-Category sub-test provides a measure of verbal fluency. Mean value shown are actual means for the number of words produced.
- Wechsler Memory Scales (WMS)-3d Ed Digit Span-Age Adjusted Total [ Time Frame: Baseline, Week 12 ]WMS Digit Span is a measure of working memory. Subjects respond by repeating lists of number sequences presented by the test administrator. Age adjusted scores are presented below. Scores may range between 1 and 19, with lower scores indicating poorer performance on the task.
- Wechsler Memory Scale-3rd Ed. Spatial Span [ Time Frame: Baseline, Week 12 ]WMS Spatial Span test measures working memory for a spatial sequence of numbers. This assesses visual working memory. Age adjusted scaled scores are presented. Score may range between 1 and 19, with lower scores indicating greater impairment in performance.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00862563
|United States, Massachusetts|
|Boston University School of Medicine|
|Boston, Massachusetts, United States, 02118|
|Principal Investigator:||Domenic A Ciraulo, MD||Boston University|