Monthly SOM230C for Recurrent or Progressive Meningioma
|Study Design:||Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Phase II Study of Monthly SOM230C for Recurrent or Progressive Meningioma|
- 6 Month Progression Free Survival [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Progression is defined using Modified Macdonald Criteria , using a >/= 25% increase in the sum of products of all measurable lesions over smallest sum observed (over baseline if no decrease) using the same techniques as baseline, OR clear worsening of any evaluable disease, OR appearance of any new lesion/site, OR clear clinical worsening or failure to return for evaluation due to death or deteriorating condition (unless clearly unrelated to this cancer).
- Response Rate [ Time Frame: 5 years ]
Number of participants to experience complete or partial response on study treatment.
For response per Modified Macdonald Criteria, all measurable and evaluable lesions and sites must be assessed using the same techniques as baseline.
- Complete Response (CR): Complete disappearance of all measurable and evaluable disease. No new lesions. No evidence of non-evaluable disease. Patients must be on no steroids.
- Partial Response (PR): Greater than or equal to 50% decrease under baseline in the sum of products of perpendicular diameters of all measurable lesions. No progression of evaluable disease. No new lesions. The steroid dose at the time of the scan evaluation should be no greater than the maximum dose used in the first 8 weeks from initiation of therapy.
- To Characterize the Safety and Tolerability of Pasireotide LAR [ Time Frame: 5 years ]
- Median Progression-Free Survival [ Time Frame: 5 years ]
- Median Time to Progression [ Time Frame: 34 months ]Per protocol, the study's secondary objectives are to be evaluated "for the estimate of median ... PFS ... at time of interest." At this time, all study participants have been followed for progression for a minimum of 34 months (final patient to accrue to study was registered to trial on 06/14/2011), and study manuscript is currently being written-up with this information.
- Overall Survival [ Time Frame: 34 months ]Percentage of participants alive 34 months after initiating study treatment. Median Overall Survival has not yet been reached for one study group; therefore, we are reporting Overall Survival rates by the end of the study time frame.
|Study Start Date:||March 2009|
|Study Completion Date:||January 2016|
|Primary Completion Date:||December 2011 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Monthly SOM230C (pasireotide LAR) - 60 mg intramuscularly (Single-Arm Trial)
Injection in the buttocks every 28 days
Other Name: pasireotide LAR
- To enroll in the study, a sample of the participant's tumor tissue, stored from an earlier study, must be sent to a lab at the Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center for diagnosis and special testing.
- Prior to starting the study medication, participants will undergo a Octreotide scan. This is a special type of scan used to obtain information about certain tumors.
- Participants will receive the study medication, SOM230C, via an injection into the buttocks every 28 days. Therefore, each treatment cycle lasts 28 days.
- The following tests and procedures will be done prior to the first, second and third treatment cycles, and every three treatment cycles thereafter: Complete physical examination including neurological exam; vital signs; current medication and symptom review; blood samples and a pregnancy test (for women of child-bearing potential).
- About 2/3 through the first treatment cycle (around day 22), participants will visit the research doctor for a complete physical examination including a neurological exam and blood work.
- Participants will have ECGs done prior to their first treatment cycle, about 2/3 through the first and third treatment cycles (around day 22), prior to their sixth treatment cycle, and every three treatment cycles thereafter.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00859040
|United States, California|
|Cedars-Sinai Medical Center|
|Los Angeles, California, United States, 90048|
|United States, Illinois|
|Chicago, Illinois, United States, 60611|
|United States, Massachusetts|
|Massachusetts General Hospital|
|Boston, Massachusetts, United States, 02114|
|Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center|
|Boston, Massachusetts, United States, 02115|
|Dana-Farber Cancer Institute|
|Boston, Massachusetts, United States, 02115|
|United States, New York|
|Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center|
|New York, New York, United States, 10065|
|United States, North Carolina|
|Duke University Medical Center, Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center|
|Durham, North Carolina, United States, 27710|
|Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center|
|Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States, 27157|
|Principal Investigator:||Patrick Y. Wen, MD||Dana-Farber Cancer Institute|