Try our beta test site
IMPORTANT: Listing of a study on this site does not reflect endorsement by the National Institutes of Health. Talk with a trusted healthcare professional before volunteering for a study. Read more...

Coronary Flow Reserve and Glucometabolic State

This study has been completed.
Information provided by:
Medicinsk Forsknings Afdeling Identifier:
First received: February 17, 2009
Last updated: NA
Last verified: February 2009
History: No changes posted

Diabetes mellitus is a major risk factor for the development of ischemic heart disease, and patients with diabetes mellitus have a worse outcome following an acute myocardial infarction than non-diabetic patients. Furthermore, abnormal glucose metabolism below the diagnostic threshold of diabetes mellitus is also associated with increased risk of death compared to patients with a normal glucose metabolism. The frequency of abnormal glucose metabolism in acute myocardial infarction is high, and approximately 70% of myocardial infarction patients have diabetes mellitus, newly diagnosed diabetes mellitus or impaired glucose tolerance, leaving only 30% with normal glucose metabolism. The increased mortality among patients with acute myocardial infarction and abnormal glucose metabolism seems mainly related to a higher occurrence of congestive heart failure, suggesting that an abnormal glucose metabolism may play an important role among others in endothelial dysfunction, infarct healing and overall left ventricle function. This raises the question, whether patients with acute myocardial infarction and abnormal glucose metabolism have increased frequency of micro- or macrovascular disease or both.

Coronary flow velocity reserve reflects the patency of the epicardial coronary artery in combination with vasodilator capacity of the microcirculation and may therefore offer a tool for assessment of macro- and microcirculation.

This study will focus on the relation between coronary flow velocity reserve estimated by transthoracal Doppler echocardiography and mortality, risk for heart failure and left ventricle function after acute myocardial infarction stratified according to glycometabolic state

Acute Myocardial Infarction
Diabetes Mellitus

Study Type: Observational
Study Design: Observational Model: Cohort
Time Perspective: Prospective
Official Title: Coronary Flow Velocity Reserve According to Glucometabolic State in Acute Myocardial Infarction; Relation to Ventricular Systolic and Diastolic Function

Resource links provided by NLM:

Further study details as provided by Medicinsk Forsknings Afdeling:

Enrollment: 190
Study Start Date: January 2006
Primary Completion Date: August 2008 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)
No treatment


Ages Eligible for Study:   Child, Adult, Senior
Sexes Eligible for Study:   All
Accepts Healthy Volunteers:   No
Sampling Method:   Probability Sample
Study Population
Patients suffering from a acute myocardial infarction

Inclusion Criteria:

  1. Newly diagnosed first AMI based on characteristic clinical symptoms and/or electrocardiographic signs of AMI and Troponin T or I or CK-MB over diagnostic limits for AMI
  2. Referral for coronary arteriography based on the actual myocardial infarction
  3. Written informed consent

Exclusion Criteria:

  1. Previous myocardial infarction
  2. Asthma bronchiale
  3. 2 or/and 3 degree atrio-ventricular block and paced rhythm
  4. Mental state that makes the patient unavailable in attending the study
  5. Use of dipyridamol
  6. Sick Sinus Syndrome
  Contacts and Locations
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the Contacts provided below. For general information, see Learn About Clinical Studies.

Please refer to this study by its identifier: NCT00845468

Hospital of Fünen Svendborg
Svendborg, Denmark, 5700
Sponsors and Collaborators
Medicinsk Forsknings Afdeling
Principal Investigator: Brian B Løgstrup, MD Medicinsk Forsknings Afdeling
  More Information

Publications automatically indexed to this study by Identifier (NCT Number):
Responsible Party: Brian Bridal Løgstrup, Medicinsk Forskning Afdeling Identifier: NCT00845468     History of Changes
Other Study ID Numbers: 07-4-B368-A1392-22379
VF 20050103
Study First Received: February 17, 2009
Last Updated: February 17, 2009

Keywords provided by Medicinsk Forsknings Afdeling:
coronary flow reserve
diabetes mellitus
acute myocardial infarction
transthoracic echocardiography

Additional relevant MeSH terms:
Diabetes Mellitus
Myocardial Infarction
Prediabetic State
Glucose Metabolism Disorders
Metabolic Diseases
Endocrine System Diseases
Pathologic Processes
Myocardial Ischemia
Heart Diseases
Cardiovascular Diseases
Vascular Diseases processed this record on April 28, 2017