Sulindac in Preventing Melanoma in Healthy Participants Who Are at Increased Risk of Melanoma
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00841204|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : February 11, 2009
Results First Posted : March 16, 2012
Last Update Posted : December 26, 2017
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Precancerous Condition||Drug: sulindac Other: placebo Other: laboratory biomarker analysis||Phase 2|
I. To determine sulindac and metabolite levels in healthy participants with atypical nevi and benign nevus at increased risk for melanoma treated with sulindac versus placebo.
I. To assess the effects of sulindac on apoptosis in atypical nevi of these participants.
II. To assess the effects of sulindac on VEGF expression in atypical nevi of these participants.
III. To assess sulindac and metabolite levels in plasma and its association with drug levels in the target tissue.
OUTLINE: This is a multicenter study. Participants are randomized to 1 of 2 treatment arms.
ARM I: Participants receive oral sulindac twice daily.
ARM II: Participants receive oral placebo twice daily.
In both arms, treatment continues for 8 weeks in the absence of unacceptable toxicity.
Blood and tissue samples are collected at baseline and/or after completion of study therapy and analyzed for sulindac and metabolite levels via high performance liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry; the detection of apoptotic cells via TUNEL assay; and VEGF expression via immunohistochemistry assays.
After completion of study therapy, participants are followed for 2 weeks.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||50 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Double (Participant, Investigator)|
|Official Title:||Phase II Trial of Sulindac in Individuals at Increased Risk for Melanoma|
|Study Start Date :||February 2009|
|Primary Completion Date :||February 2011|
|Study Completion Date :||February 2011|
Experimental: Arm I
Participants receive oral sulindac twice daily for 8 weeks
Other Names:Other: laboratory biomarker analysis
Placebo Comparator: Arm II
Participants receive oral placebo twice daily for 8 weeks
Other Name: PLCBOther: laboratory biomarker analysis
- Sulindac Concentration in the Nevi (Moles) [ Time Frame: 8 weeks ]
- Sulindac Sulfone, an Active Metabolite of Sulindac, Concentration in the Nevi [ Time Frame: 8 weeks ]
- Sulindac Sulfide, an Active Metabolite of Sulindac, Concentration in the Nevi [ Time Frame: 8 weeks ]
- Sulindac Effects on Apoptosis in Atypical Nevi [ Time Frame: Baseline and 8 weeks ]Change in the expression of a marker of apoptosis, cleaved caspase 3, in melanocytic junctional component
- Sulindac Effects on Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF) Expression in Atypical Nevi [ Time Frame: Baseline and 8 weeks ]Change in VEGF expression in melanocytic junctional component
- Association Between Plasma and Target Tissue Sulindac Levels [ Time Frame: 8 weeks ]
- Association Between Plasma and Target Tissue Sulindac Sulfone Levels [ Time Frame: 8 weeks ]
- Association Between Plasma and Target Tissue Sulindac Sulfide Levels [ Time Frame: 8 weeks ]
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00841204
|United States, Arizona|
|University of Arizona Health Sciences Center|
|Tucson, Arizona, United States, 85724|
|United States, California|
|Stanford University Hospitals and Clinics|
|Stanford, California, United States, 94305|
|Principal Investigator:||Hsiao-Hui (Sherry) Chow||University of Arizona Health Sciences Center|