Genetics of Type 2 Diabetes Among Han Chinese
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00837408|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : February 5, 2009
Last Update Posted : September 17, 2018
- To conduct a genome-wide association study (GWAS) to identify susceptibility genetic variants for diabetes among Han Chinese.
- To conduct resequencing of positional candidate gene/loci to identify likely functional variants in a subset of the cohort.
- To conduct replication studies of the top-100 scoring variants in three independent African and European ancestry samples.
- To investigate whether diabetes-associated variants discovered in European populations increase diabetes risk in Han Chinese.
- Patients 25 years of age with newly diagnosed T2D in Suizhou, China. Control subjects are nondiabetics, age and ethnically matched to patients.
- The study design for both patients and controls consists of the following steps:
- Discuss informed consent process and obtain signed informed consent form. Informed consent will be administered by trained clinic staff.
- Assign study ID (barcode)
- Administer questionnaires
- Obtain spot urine sample
- Measure blood pressure
- Obtain anthropometric measurements including body composition
- Perform finger prick for blood glucose level
- Obtain venous blood samples
- Perform eye examination
- On the following day, perform confirmatory blood glucose for the small subset of participants requiring confirmation of previous test result
- DNA extraction of stored samples will be done at either the National Institutes of Health or the laboratory in China.
- GWAS will be conducted using publicly available software packages.
|Condition or disease|
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Actual Enrollment :||2379 participants|
|Official Title:||Genetics of Type 2 Diabetes Among Han Chinese|
|Study Start Date :||February 3, 2009|
Individuals with Type 2 Diabetes
Individuals without Type 2 Diabetes
- Type 2 Diabetes [ Time Frame: Cross-sectional ]Diagnosis of type 2 diabetes based on blood glucose measurement.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00837408
|HuBei Suizhou Central Hospital|
|Principal Investigator:||Charles N Rotimi, M.D.||National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI)|