Bortezomib Plus Prednisone for Initial Therapy of Chronic Graft Versus Host Disease
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00815919|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : December 31, 2008
Results First Posted : February 28, 2014
Last Update Posted : July 22, 2015
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Chronic Graft Versus Host Disease||Drug: bortezomib Drug: Prednisone||Phase 2|
- Each treatment cycle lasts five weeks, during which time participants will come to the clinic to receive bortezomib intravenously once a week for the first 4 weeks. Prednisone will be taken orally on a daily basis and dose reduction may be initiated after 1 cycle of therapy.
- During all treatment cycles, participants will have the following: physical exam and blood work. At the end of cycle 3 (week 15) the participants cGVHD will be evaluated. These assessments may include an eye examination, a skin examination, a pulmonary function test and/or, a flexion assessment test.
- Participants will receive 3 cycles of bortezomib.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||22 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Phase II Trial of Bortezomib (Velcade) Plus Prednisone for Initial Therapy of Chronic Graft Versus Host Disease|
|Study Start Date :||December 2008|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||January 2012|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||January 2013|
|Experimental: Velcade (bortezomib)||
Given intravenously at a dose of 1.3 mg/m^2 once a week for the first four weeks of a five week cycle for a total of 3 cycles
Other Name: VelcadeDrug: Prednisone
Taken orally once a day at a dose of 0.5-1 mg/kg. Dose reduction may be initiated after 1 cycle of therapy. A suggested taper is 10-25% every 1-2 weeks.
- Overall Response Rate After a 15 Week Course of Bortezomib Plus Prednisone in Patients With cGVHD [ Time Frame: Patients had their cGVHD assessed at Baseline and at 15 weeks or end of therapy ]
Participants had their cGVHD evaluated per NIH consensus criteria:
Complete response: resolution of all reversible manifestations of cGVHD.
Partial response: a decrease ≥ 1 point on a 3-point organ-specific scale or 2 points or more on a 10-point global scale without progression in any organ sites.
Stable disease: no evidence of cGVHD response without evidence of progressive cGVHD.
Progressive cGVHD: increase of ≥ 1 point on an organ-specific 3-point scale, addition of a new immunosuppressive agent prior to the completion of 15 weeks of combination therapy, or requirement an increase in the total daily dose of corticosteroids above a participant's baseline corticosteroid dose during the 15-week combined treatment period.
Mixed response: a response in primary sites of cGVHD involvement but interval progressive cGVHD in other organs or sites.
Responses were not scored for oral or ocular cGVHD, since topical therapies were permitted during the study.
- Proportion of Patients Tolerating >50% Steroid Dose Reduction After a 15 Week Course of Bortezomib Plus Prednisone in Patients With cGVHD [ Time Frame: After 15 weeks of bortezomib plus prednisone therapy ]The participants' total daily steroid dose was recorded at baseline and after a 15 week course of treatment. Starting at a dose of 0.5-1 mg/kg, dose reduction of steroids was permitted after 1 cycle of therapy. The suggested taper was 10-25% every 1-2 weeks. .
- The Toxicity of a 15 Week Course of Bortezomib Plus Prednisone in Patients With cGVHD [ Time Frame: Toxicities were collected from the start of treatment through 15 weeks of therapy or end of study treatmetn ]Participants' toxicities were graded based on the CTCAE version 3.0. The toxicities were then given an attribution to the velcade treatment: unrelated, unlikely, possible, probable, definite.
- Proportion of cGVHD Patients Requiring Prednisone by 1 Year After Therapy [ Time Frame: 1 year after the start of study treatment ]Participants who were still being followed 1 year after the start of therapy had their prednisone dose recorded.
- Overall and cGVHD Progression-free Survival by 1 Year After Therapy [ Time Frame: 2 years ]
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00815919
|United States, Massachusetts|
|Dana-Farber Cancer Institute|
|Boston, Massachusetts, United States, 02115|
|Principal Investigator:||John Koreth, MBBS, DPhil||Dana-Farber Cancer Institute|