Prevalence of Exercise-Induced Asthma in Select Cohorts of College Athletes
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00806000|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : December 10, 2008
Last Update Posted : October 10, 2012
|Condition or disease|
prospective, cohort study of the prevalence of asthma in select athletic teams at a large, collegiate athletic program as documented by self-report versus lung function testing. Athletes from men's and women's ice hockey, soccer, and lacrosse will be studied. Each athlete will indicate via self-report on questionnaires whether they have asthma, and then subsequently will be tested utilizing specialized lung function testing. These teams were chosen, because it will allow for gender-matching across teams and they had subjectively reported asthma prevalence rates based on prior pilot data.
- Varsity athlete on athletic team of interest here at The Ohio State University
- 18 years of age or older
- No short-acting bronchodilator use for 6 hours prior to testing
- No long-acting bronchodilator use for 36 hours prior to testing
- No inhaled corticosteroids or leukotriene modifiers for 72 hours prior to testing
- Non-smoker for 6 months or longer
- Less than 10 pack year (number of packs per day (x) years of smoking=pack years) smoking history, as smoking causes chronic changes in the profile of inflammatory cells of lungs and also makes airways more likely to spasm. This is true even for non-smokers.
- recent upper respiratory tract infection (within 2 weeks of study enrollment)
- Objective evidence of severe lung impairment on pulmonary testing performed at the beginning of the study.
- Participation in another interventional research trial
- Unable to provide consent
- Asthma exacerbation within the last 4 weeks
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Actual Enrollment :||150 participants|
|Official Title:||Prevalence of Exercise-Induced Asthma in Select Cohorts of College Athletes|
|Study Start Date :||December 2008|
|Primary Completion Date :||December 2010|
|Study Completion Date :||December 2010|
- To identify characteristics of athletes that may be associated with increased relative risk for asthma To identify characteristics of athletes that may be associated with increased relative risk for asthma. To identify characteristics of athletes tha [ Time Frame: end of study ]
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00806000
|United States, Ohio|
|The Ohio State University|
|Columbus, Ohio, United States, 43210|
|Principal Investigator:||Jonathan P Parsons, MD||Ohio State University|