Lurasidone HCl - A Long Term Phase 3 Study of Patients With Chronic Schizophrenia (PEARL 3 Ext)
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00789698|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : November 13, 2008
Results First Posted : August 21, 2012
Last Update Posted : June 12, 2015
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Chronic Schizophrenia||Drug: Lurasidone HC1 Drug: Quetiapine XR||Phase 3|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||240 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Double (Participant, Investigator)|
|Official Title:||A Phase 3 Randomized, Double-Blind, Active Comparator-Controlled Clinical Trial to Study the Safety and Efficacy of Lurasidone in Subjects With Schizophrenia (PEARL 3 Extension Study)|
|Study Start Date :||December 2008|
|Primary Completion Date :||July 2011|
|Study Completion Date :||July 2011|
|Experimental: Lurasidone HC1||
Drug: Lurasidone HC1
Lurasidone 40-160 mg/day flexibly dosed.
|Active Comparator: Quetiapine||
Drug: Quetiapine XR
Quetiapine XR 200-800 mg/day flexibly dosed.
- Relapse of Psychotic Symptoms [ Time Frame: 12 Months ]
Time to relapse will be defined as the earliest occurrence of any of the following:
- Worsening of >= 30% positive and negative syndrome scale total score from NCT00790192 and clinical global impression-severity sub-scale >=3
- rehospitalization for worsening of psychosis
- emergence of suicidal ideation, homicidal ideation and/or risk of harm to self or others Comparison of time to relapse of psychotic symptoms between lurasidone and quetiapine XR after 1 year as analyzed using the Cox proportional hazard model with country as a covariate.
- Change From the Acute Phase Baseline to Month 6 of the Double-blind Treatment in the CogState Computerized Cognitive Scores. [ Time Frame: Baseline and 6 Months ]The battery has seven outcome measures that measure the cognitive constructs. The seven domains are: detection, identification, one back task, international shopping list task, one card learning task, Groton maze learning task and social emotional matching. The standardized scores for each subject at each assessment will then be averaged to yield a composite score. There are no maximum or minimum values, however a higher score indicates improved performance on the cognitive constructs. The change score is change from baseline to month 6.
- Change From the Acute Phase Baseline to the End (Month 12) of the Double-blind Treatment in the Positive and Negative Syndrome Scale (PANSS) [ Time Frame: Baseline and 12 months ]The PANSS is an interview-based measure of psychopathology severity in adults with psychotic disorders. Thirty items are rated using a Likert scale, from 1 - 7. The PANSS total score is the sum of thirty items ranging from 30 to 210 (higher score representing a worsening in psychosis).
- Change From the Acute Phase Baseline to the End (Month 12) of the Double-blind Treatment in the Clinical Global Impression Severity Scale (CGI-S) Scores [ Time Frame: Baseline and 12 months ]The CGI-S is a clinician-rated assessment of the subject's current illness state on a scale ranging from 1-7, where a higher score is associated with greater illness severity.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00789698
Show 65 Study Locations
|Study Director:||Medical Director, MD||Sunovion|