Quality of Life in Patients Undergoing Embolization Using Yttrium Y 90 Glass Microspheres for Primary or Metastatic Liver Cancer
RATIONALE: Learning about quality of life in patients with cancer undergoing embolization may help doctors learn about the side effects of treatment and plan the best treatment.
PURPOSE: This clinical trial is studying quality of life in patients undergoing embolization using yttrium Y 90 glass microspheres for primary or metastatic liver cancer.
|Study Design:||Observational Model: Cohort
Time Perspective: Prospective
|Official Title:||A Quality of Life Study for Patients With Primary or Metastatic Liver Cancer Who Are Treated With Radioembolization (Y90 Microspheres) or Transcatheter Arterial Embolization (TACE)|
- Quality of life of all patients over the course of treatment [ Time Frame: Before treatment, 2 weeks post, and 1 month post ]
- Quality of life differences between treatment groups [ Time Frame: Before treatment, 2 weeks post, and 1 month post ]
|Study Start Date:||April 2008|
|Study Completion Date:||May 2010|
|Primary Completion Date:||May 2010 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Patients receiving treatment with radioembolization.
Patients receiving treatment with transcatheter arterial embolization
Patients receiving treatment with radiofrequency ablation.
- Assess the quality of life (QOL) as defined by the presence or absence of physical, social, emotional, and functional distress in patients with primary or metastatic liver cancer undergoing treatment with radioembolization or transcatheter arterial embolization.
- Compare the time course of QOL measures between treatment groups in patients treated with these regimens.
- Compare the time course of QOL measures between patient subgroups defined by pre-treatment quality of life or tumor burden.
OUTLINE: Patients complete FACT-Hep version 4 surveys on quality of life prior to initiation of embolization, and at 2 weeks and 1 month after completion of embolization.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00739167
|United States, Illinois|
|Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center at Northwestern University|
|Chicago, Illinois, United States, 60611-3013|
|Principal Investigator:||Peggy Gilbertsen, RN, BS||Robert H. Lurie Cancer Center|