High-Dose Ribavirin and Peginterferon to Treat Chronic Hepatitis C Genotype 1
This study will evaluate the effectiveness of an experimental treatment regimen for hepatitis C (HCV). Standard treatment consists of combination therapy with ribavirin, taken by mouth twice a day, and Peginterferon, injected under the skin once a week. Hepatitis C genotypes 2 and 3 have a high success rate with this regimen, while genotype 1 is more difficult to treat. This study will determine if patients with genotype 1 respond better to treatment that uses a higher dose of ribavirin than the standard approved dose of 1,000 to 1,200 mg daily.
Patients 18 years of age and older with chronic hepatitis C genotype 1 who have not been successfully treated with a standard course of Peginterferon and ribavirin may be eligible for this study. Participants eligible will receive Peginterferon plus twice the standard dose of ribavirin (2,000 to 2,400 mg daily) for 48 weeks. In addition to treatment, all patients receive undergo the following:
- Medical history and physical examination, symptom questionnaires, blood tests, urine collection, chest x-ray, electrocardiogram, liver ultrasound, Fibroscan (ultrasound to measure stiffness of the liver) and pregnancy test for women who are able to have children.
- Patients with other medical conditions or special risk factors may have further evaluations before starting treatment. These may include, for example, eye evaluation for patients with diabetes, exercise stress test for people over age 40 or who have risk factors for heart disease and psychiatric evaluation for people who have depression or anxiety disorder.
- Periodic blood tests to monitor blood counts and viral levels.
- Outpatient clinic visits every 4 weeks for the duration of the study for laboratory tests and review of symptoms and treatment side effects. Physical examinations and urine tests are done every 12 weeks.
Following Completion of Treatment
About 1 1/2 years after starting treatment, subjects are re-evaluated as they were at the start of treatment.
|Study Design:||Allocation: Non-Randomized
Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: None (Open Label)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||High Dose Ribavirin in Combination With Peginterferon for Patients With Chronic Hepatitis C Genotype 1 Infection Who Have Failed to Respond or Relapsed After Standard Therapy|
- Sustained Virological Response, (HCV RNA Neg.) in Serum 24 Weeks Off Therapy. [ Time Frame: 24 weeks after treatment stop ]
|Study Start Date:||August 2008|
|Study Completion Date:||June 2013|
|Primary Completion Date:||June 2013 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00735969
|United States, Maryland|
|National Institutes of Health Clinical Center, 9000 Rockville Pike|
|Bethesda, Maryland, United States, 20892|
|Principal Investigator:||Marc G Ghany, M.D.||National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK)|