The Therapeutic Efficacy of Neurofeedback in Depression (neurofeedback)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00729547|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : August 7, 2008
Last Update Posted : August 7, 2008
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Depression||Behavioral: Neurofeedback Behavioral: Psychotherapy placebo||Not Applicable|
- Fulfilled DSM-IV criteria for depressive disorders.
- Persons who had organic disorders were excluded.
- Who had been treated by psychoactive drugs for at least 2 months prior to the study were excluded.
- Subjects were randomly assigned to two groups (EEG biofeedback /psychotherapy placebo) by block randomization.
- EEG biofeedback training was provided for 5 weeks(10 sessions, twice per week). Each training session was composed of 6 four minute trials followed by 5 thirty second rest periods
- Psychotherapy placebo session was provided for 5 weeks. These sessions consisted of additional assessment, interpretation of the test results and providing information on course and treatment of mood disorder.
- After subjects completed the training, they participated in a month-long (twice per week) self-training session to maintain a similar mental state during neurofeedback training sessions without feedback system's assistance.
- Subjects who had finished the psychotherapy placebo were referred to other therapists as necessary.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||24 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Factorial Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||The Therapeutic Efficacy of Frontal EEG Asymmetry Neurofeedback in Depression|
|Study Start Date :||September 2006|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||December 2006|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||January 2007|
Placebo Comparator: 2
Psychotherapy placebo session
Behavioral: Psychotherapy placebo
These sessions consisted of additional assessment, interpretation of the test results and providing information on course and treatment of mood disorder.
Neurofeedback training which enhance left frontal alpha wave.
enhance relative activity level of left frontal activity
Other Name: Asymmetry training
- frontal EEG asymmetry indexes [ Time Frame: 5 weeks ]
- BDI-2 [ Time Frame: 5 weeks ]
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00729547
|Korea, Republic of|
|Department of Oriental Neuropsychiatry, Kyunghee Medical Center|
|Seoul, Korea, Republic of, 130-702|
|Principal Investigator:||Hyuntaek Kim, PHD||Department of Psychology, Korea university|