Radiotherapy for Prostate Cancer: Conventional Dose Versus High Dose
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00692107|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : June 6, 2008
Last Update Posted : June 6, 2008
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Prostatic Neoplasms||Radiation: Gray||Phase 3|
Patients were stratified by hospital, treatment group, age and (neo)adjuvant hormonal therapy. Four treatment groups with specific radiation volumes were defined depending on the estimated risk of tumour involvement of the seminal vesicles (based on T-stage, initial PSA and Gleason Score or Differentiation Grade).The dose was delivered with daily fractions of 2 Gy, five times a week. The total duration of the treatment was 7 weeks for patients treated to 68 Gy and 8 week for 78 Gy.
- To test in a phase III randomised study the hypothesis that higher radiation doses lead to a higher freedom from failure rate for localized prostate cancer.
- To test the hypothesis that a higher freedom from failure rate leads to a longer disease-free survival and overall survival.
- To limit acute and late toxicity with respect to gastro-intestinal and urological toxicity.
- To evaluate different PSA related endpoints for local failure and distant metastasis.
- To establish a database of patients treated to escalated doses with Dose Volume Histograms of the normal tissues at risk for each individual patient and common toxicity endpoints.
- To validate a model to estimate normal tissue complication probabilities (NTCPs) of rectum and bladder, based on the above-mentioned database, and to obtain reliable parameter values for NTCP estimations.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||669 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Phase III Study for Prostate Cancer, Randomizing Between Two Radiation Dose Levels (68 Gy vs. 78 Gy) and Utilizing Three Dimensional Conformal Radiotherapy|
|Study Start Date :||June 1997|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||May 2005|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||December 2007|
Active Comparator: 1
68 Gy vs. 78 Gy
68 Gy vs. 78 Gy
- Freedom from failure
- Overall survival
- Freedom from clinical failure
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00692107
|The Netherlands Cancer Institute|
|Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1066CX|
|Radiotherapeutic Institute Friesland|
|Leeuwarden, Netherlands, 8934 AD|
|Daniel Den Hoed Cancer Center|
|Rotterdam, Netherlands, 3075 EA|
|Zeeuws Radiotherapeutic Institute|
|Vlissingen, Netherlands, 4382 EE|
|Principal Investigator:||Joos V Lebesque, MD, PhD||The Netherlands Cancer Institute|