Corticosteroids for Cancer Pain
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00676936|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : May 13, 2008
Last Update Posted : July 28, 2016
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Cancer Pain||Drug: Methylprednisolone Drug: Placebo||Phase 3|
Patients are required to use strong opioids before entering the study. Weak opioids are allowed if patients have short acting strong opioids as rescue-medication. The scheduled opioids shall be stable last 48 hours before entering the study and will be kept stable during the study period. Patients may use as much short acting rescue-medication as they require. No other analgesic medication should be started during the study period.
The study is a multicentre trial. Patients will be randomized according to 1. study centre (No 1-5) and 2. pain mechanism: skeletal metastases (yes/no).
Patients are evaluated Day 0 and Day 7 by palliative care physician. Patients will be contacted by phone Day 1-6 and will fill in questionnaire regarding symptoms and analgesic usage. Patients will be contacted Day 14 and 21 to fill in questionnaires regarding symptoms, quality of life and side effects.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||50 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Quadruple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Primary Purpose:||Supportive Care|
|Official Title:||Corticosteroids for Cancer Pain|
|Study Start Date :||April 2008|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||February 2012|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||February 2012|
Methylprednisolone 16 mg twice daily
Custom made capsules, Methylprednisolone 16 mg twice daily, intervention period 7 days.
Other Name: Medrol (TM)
Placebo Comparator: Placebo
Placebo capsules twice daily
Custom made capsules, Lactose, administered twice daily, intervention period 7 days
- pain intensity at Day 7 [ Time Frame: 7 days ]change of pain intensity at Day 7, measured by "average pain for the last 24 hours" (NRS 0-10).
- fatigue [ Time Frame: 7 days ]change of fatigue measured by EORTC QLQ30 and ESAS
- appetite [ Time Frame: 7 days ]change of appetite measured by EORTC QLQ30 and ESAS
- Overall effect satisfaction [ Time Frame: 7 days ]Overall effect measured by a global satisfaction-question ("How is your overall benefit from the medication?" NRS: 0= No important benefit 10=very important benefit).
- sleep quality [ Time Frame: 7 days ]change of sleep quality measured by Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index
- analgesic usage [ Time Frame: 7 days ]change of analgesic usage measured by morphine equivalents.
- Pain now and average pain last 24 hrs [ Time Frame: 7 days ]Pain now and average pain last 24 hours measured by daily NRS (Numeric rating scale)(ESAS)
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00676936
|Haraldsplass Diakonale sykehus|
|Bergen, Norway, 5009|
|Sykehuset Buskerud HF|
|Drammen, Norway, 3004|
|Sørlandet Sykehus HF|
|Kristiansand, Norway, 4606|
|Oslo Universitetssykehus, Ulleval|
|Oslo, Norway, 0407|
|Sykehuset Telemark HF|
|Skien, Norway, 3712|
|St Olavs Hospital HF|
|Trondheim, Norway, 7006|
|Study Director:||Stein Kaasa, MD PhD prof||Norwegian University of Science and Technology|