Breast Cancer Registry for Participants With Breast Cancer or Characteristics of Hereditary Breast Cancer (BCCR)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00666731|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : April 25, 2008
Last Update Posted : May 15, 2017
RATIONALE: Gathering information about patients with breast cancer and their families may help the study of breast cancer in the future.
PURPOSE: This clinical trial is gathering information about patients with breast cancer and their families.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment|
|Breast Cancer Precancerous Condition||Other: medical chart review Other: questionnaire administration Other: study of socioeconomic and demographic variables Procedure: Excess human biological tissue Procedure: quality-of-life assessment|
- To develop a web-based Breast Cancer Collaborative Registry (BCCR) as a repository for socio-demographic, environmental, clinical history, family history, and biospecimen data collected at the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) centers for participants with a personal history of breast cancer and/or characteristics of hereditary breast cancer.
- To merge the data already being collected on breast cancer patients under the Adult Oncology Data Collection Study and newly diagnosed breast cancer patients participating in the NCCN Data Coordinating study at UNMC/NMC.
- To standardize clinical, environmental, socio-demographic, and family history data for breast cancer-related information to be collected and shared for research purposes by Eppley Breast Cancer Research Group breast cancer research collaborators.
- To collect, validate, and disseminate the breast cancer-related data to establish a high-risk cohort for future research into the molecular and biological bases of breast cancer susceptibility and interventional trials.
OUTLINE: This is a multicenter study.
Study participants undergo data collection related to breast cancer studies at one of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) centers for inclusion in the Breast Cancer Collaborative Registry (BCCR). The BCCR is a comprehensive computerized database that serves as a repository for socio-demographic, environmental, clinical history, family history, and biospecimen data collected for breast cancer patients treated on UNMC protocols. Central features of the registry include standardized data-entry forms and a relational database that can be used as a resource for the study of the pathology, immunology, cytogenetics, molecular biology, epidemiology, clinical features, and outcome of patients with benign, pre-malignant, or malignant breast disease.
Study participants complete a self-administered electronic or paper-based survey and a medical history questionnaire at baseline to provide information on demographics (e.g., age and sex); personal and family medical history; treatment history; lifestyle, physical activity, and dietary habits; quality of life; environmental exposure history; and the family tree for inclusion in the registry. Participants also undergo telephone or in-person structured interviews conducted by study coordinators, genetic counselors, or the System Coordinator of the BCCR to provide additional information or clarification of the information provided in the questionnaires.
Study participants also undergo review of their medical records and pathology reports to obtain detailed medical and treatment-related information for inclusion in the registry. The information collected includes retrospective and prospective disease-specific data (e.g., diagnosis, grade/stage, and laboratory values) and longitudinal outcome data (e.g., response to treatment, toxicity, survival, relapse) derived during prospective clinical follow-up.
Study participants are followed periodically to update relevant health and family histories.
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Actual Enrollment :||4945 participants|
|Official Title:||Development and Implementation of The Breast Cancer Collaborative Registry (BCCR)|
|Actual Study Start Date :||October 2006|
|Primary Completion Date :||December 31, 2016|
|Study Completion Date :||December 31, 2016|
Other: medical chart review
- Implementation of a web-based Breast Cancer Collaborative Registry at the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) centers [ Time Frame: Ongoing ]Web-based registry
- Merger of data collected under the Adult Oncology Data Collection Study and the National Comprehensive Cancer Network Data Coordinating study at UNMC/NMC [ Time Frame: Ongoing ]Web-based registries.
- Standardization of clinical, environmental, socio-demographic, and family history data collected for breast cancer-related research and shared by the Eppley Breast Cancer Research Group collaborators [ Time Frame: Ongoing ]Web-based registry.
Biospecimen Retention: Samples With DNA
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00666731
Show 65 Study Locations
|Principal Investigator:||Kenneth H. Cowan, MD, PhD||University of Nebraska|