A Pilot Weight Control Intervention at HPHC
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00644202|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : March 26, 2008
Last Update Posted : March 26, 2008
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Obesity||Behavioral: Counseling Sessions Behavioral: Specialized Website Behavioral: Telephone Counseling Calls||Not Applicable|
- All study participants must have regular access to the Internet, however, the study will not provide this access. Participants will be randomly placed in one of two study groups (Group 1 or Group 2).
- Group 1 participants will be asked to make 3 in-person visits, each lasting 75-90 minutes. The following information will be collected: name, mailing address, telephone number, and email address. During the study visit, the following measurements will be taken: height, weight, waist circumference, blood pressure and dietary patterns.
- Group 1 participants will also receive counseling around diet and physical activity from a registered dietician and be asked to use a specialized website that will allow them to track eating and physical activity patterns, learn new weight management skills, interact with the dietician, and receive support from other participants.
- Group 1 will also receive 5 telephone counseling calls with a health counselor. During the telephone calls, we will teach the participant new skills such as tracking diet and physical activity, goal-setting and staying motivated.
- Group 2 participants will be asked to make 2 in-person visits, each lasting 75-90 minutes in length. The following information will be collected: your name, mailing address, and telephone number. During the study visit, the following measurements will be taken: height, weight, waist circumference, blood pressure and dietary patterns.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||101 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Primary Purpose:||Supportive Care|
|Official Title:||A Pilot Weight Control Intervention at Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (HPHC)|
|Study Start Date :||May 2006|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||February 2007|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||February 2007|
Experimental: Group 1
Behavioral: Counseling Sessions
Counseling Sessions at each study visit around diet and physical activity from a registered dieticianBehavioral: Specialized Website
Specialized website that allows participants to track their eating and physical activity patterns, learn new weight management skills, interact with the dietician, and receive support from other participantsBehavioral: Telephone Counseling Calls
5 telephone calls with a health counselor, lasting 15-20 minutes each.
No Intervention: Group 2
Usual Care Group
- Weight [ Time Frame: 24 weeks ]
- Blood pressure [ Time Frame: 24 weeks ]
- Diet [ Time Frame: 24 weeks ]
- Physical activity [ Time Frame: 24 weeks ]
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00644202
|United States, Massachusetts|
|Dana-Farber Cancer Institute|
|Boston, Massachusetts, United States, 02115|
|Department of Ambulatory Care and Prevention|
|Boston, Massachusetts, United States, 02215|
|Principal Investigator:||Gary Bennett, Ph.D||Dana-Farber Cancer Institute|