Women's Health Initiative Study of Cognitive Aging (WHISCA)
Recruitment status was Active, not recruiting
The Women's Health Initiative Study of Cognitive Aging (WHISCA) is a two-armed, randomized, placebo controlled, clinical trial designed to assess the efficacy of postmenopausal hormone therapy (HT) on age related changes in specific cognitive functions. WHISCA is an ancillary study to the Women's Health Initiative (WHI) and the WHI Memory Study (WHIMS) and has enrolled 2303 women aged 66 to 84 years who did not meet the criteria for dementia. WHISCA is investigating the effects of hormone therapy on rates of change over time in memory, other aspects of cognition (language, attention, spatial ability), motor function, and mood.
- Does HT protect against age-associated memory and cognitive longitudinal decline in women age 65 and older?
- What is the rate of change in memory and other cognitive abilities in women receiving HT compared to women receiving placebo?
- Does the addition of progesterone to HT modify the effects of estrogen on memory and other cognitive abilities?
|Official Title:||Effects of Hormone Replacement Therapy on Cognitive Aging: Women's Health Initiative Study of Cognitive Aging (WHISCA)|
- Does HT protect against age-associated memory and cognitive longitudinal decline in women age 65 and older as measured over time by a series of cognitive tests administered annually? [ Time Frame: Annual assessment done annually. ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- To determine the long-term effects of HT on changes in memory, other cognitive functions, and affect; and to investigate predictors of the transitions between normal aging and mild cognitive impairment and mild cognitive impairment and dementia. [ Time Frame: measured over lift of the study ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
|Study Start Date:||July 1999|
|Estimated Study Completion Date:||June 2008|
|Primary Completion Date:||September 2007 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00631332
|United States, North Carolina|
|Wake Forest University School of Medicine|
|Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States, 27157|