A Pharmacokinetic Study of Oral Cyclophosphamide and Topotecan in Children With Recurrent Solid Tumors
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00628732|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : March 5, 2008
Last Update Posted : January 28, 2009
The purposes of this study include:
- Determination of the change in clearance of topotecan and topotecan lactone between day 1 and day 14 for patients receiving treatment with p.o. topotecan and p.o. cyclophosphamide x 14 days.
- Determination of the correlation between the activity of CYP3A4, as measured by the 14C- Erythromycin Breath Test (ERMBT), and topotecan/topotecan lactone clearance for patients receiving treatment with p.o. topotecan and p.o. cyclophosphamide x 14 days.
- Determination of the response rate to oral cyclophosphamide and oral topotecan in recurrent and/or refractory pediatric solid tumors.
- Obtain additional safety data for the chemotherapy regimen, p.o. topotecan and p.o. cyclophosphamide x 14 days.
- Report the frequency of severe toxicities associated with the level of CYP3A4 activity, as measured by the ERMBT, for patients receiving treatment with p.o. topotecan and p.o. cyclophosphamide x 14 days.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Solid Tumors||Drug: Cyclophosphamide and Topotecan||Phase 2|
Upon obtaining informed consent, patients will begin two courses of oral cyclophosphamide and topotecan x 14 days. During the first of two courses, patients will perform the 14C-Erythromycin Breath Test and have topotecan pharmacokinetics performed on day 1 and 14. The subjects will also have various medical tests and procedures performed that are part of regular cancer care which include: Medical history and physical examination to be done weekly, blood tests to be done weekly, heart and kidney function tests, various scans to be done after two courses of treatment, and a pregnancy test for females of childbearing age to be done prior to starting treatment.
Patients may continue to receive additional courses of oral cyclophosphamide and topotecan provided that they do not experience tumor progression or intolerable side effects.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||36 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Pharmacokinetic and Phase II Study of Oral Cyclophosphamide and Oral Topotecan in Children With Recurrent and or Refractory Solid Tumors|
|Study Start Date :||January 2005|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||February 2007|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||February 2007|
Drug: Cyclophosphamide and Topotecan
Two courses of cyclophosphamide at 50 mg/m2/dose and topotecan 0.8 mg/m2/dose by mouth every morning for 14 days each.
Other Name: Cytoxan and Hycamptin
- Radiographic imaging [ Time Frame: Every 2 cycles ]
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00628732
|United States, Texas|
|Children's Medical Center Dallas|
|Dallas, Texas, United States, 75235|
|Principal Investigator:||Daniel C Bowers, MD||UT Southwestern Medical Center of Dallas|