Ramelteon as an Adjunct Therapy in Non-Diabetic Patients With Schizophrenia
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00595504|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : January 16, 2008
Results First Posted : September 13, 2012
Last Update Posted : September 13, 2012
This study involves people who have schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder who are currently taking antipsychotic medications. Some antipsychotic medications may cause weight gain and may increase the risk of diabetes mellitus and heart disease.The purpose of this study is to find out what happens if another medication (ramelteon) is used along with your antipsychotic medication. We want to find out whether doing this will:
- Change the way your body breaks down fat and sugar.
- Affect your waist size, stomach fat and triglycerides (a type of fat in your blood).
- Improve how your body responds to insulin.
- Affect your quality of sleep.
- Reduce movement disturbances Ramelteon is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat people that have difficulty falling asleep. It is not approved for such things as affecting waist size or improving how the body breaks down fat and sugar. Its use in this study is investigational.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Schizophrenia Schizoaffective Disorder Schizophreniform Disorders||Drug: Ramelteon Drug: Placebo||Phase 4|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||25 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Quadruple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||Phase IV Study of Ramelteon as an Adjunct Therapy in Non-Diabetic Patients With Schizophrenia|
|Study Start Date :||January 2008|
|Primary Completion Date :||March 2010|
|Study Completion Date :||March 2010|
Two week supply of ramelteon 8mg/day first dispensed at baseline. New two week supply of study medication dispensed at each biweekly visit for 8 consecutive weeks.
Other Name: Rozerem
Placebo Comparator: 2
Two week supply of placebo tablets first dispensed at baseline. New two week supply of placebo dispensed at each biweekly visit for 8 consecutive weeks.
- Change in Waist Circumference [ Time Frame: Baseline and Week 8 ]A comparison between the ramelteon group and the placebo group in change in waist circumference (measured in cm) measured at Baseline and Week 8.
- Change in Insulin Resistance as Measured by the Homeostatic Model Assessment of Insulin Resistance (HOMA-IR). [ Time Frame: Baseline and Week 8 ]A comparison between the ramelteon group and the placebo group of change in insulin resistance measured by the homeostatic model assessment of insulin resistance (HOMA-IR), assessed at Baseline and Week 8.
- Change in Abdominal Fat (DEXA). [ Time Frame: Baseline and Week 8 ]A comparison between the ramelteon group and the placebo group of change in abdominal fat measured by a DEXA scan, assessed at Baseline and Week 8.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00595504
|United States, Massachusetts|
|Freedom Trail Clinic|
|Boston, Massachusetts, United States, 02114|
|Principal Investigator:||David C. Henderson, M.D.||Massachusetts General Hospital|