Ramelteon as an Adjunct Therapy in Non-Diabetic Patients With Schizophrenia
This study involves people who have schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder who are currently taking antipsychotic medications. Some antipsychotic medications may cause weight gain and may increase the risk of diabetes mellitus and heart disease.The purpose of this study is to find out what happens if another medication (ramelteon) is used along with your antipsychotic medication. We want to find out whether doing this will:
- Change the way your body breaks down fat and sugar.
- Affect your waist size, stomach fat and triglycerides (a type of fat in your blood).
- Improve how your body responds to insulin.
- Affect your quality of sleep.
- Reduce movement disturbances Ramelteon is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat people that have difficulty falling asleep. It is not approved for such things as affecting waist size or improving how the body breaks down fat and sugar. Its use in this study is investigational.
|Schizophrenia Schizoaffective Disorder Schizophreniform Disorders||Drug: Ramelteon Drug: Placebo||Phase 4|
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Double Blind (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Phase IV Study of Ramelteon as an Adjunct Therapy in Non-Diabetic Patients With Schizophrenia|
- Change in Waist Circumference [ Time Frame: Baseline and Week 8 ]A comparison between the ramelteon group and the placebo group in change in waist circumference (measured in cm) measured at Baseline and Week 8.
- Change in Insulin Resistance as Measured by the Homeostatic Model Assessment of Insulin Resistance (HOMA-IR). [ Time Frame: Baseline and Week 8 ]A comparison between the ramelteon group and the placebo group of change in insulin resistance measured by the homeostatic model assessment of insulin resistance (HOMA-IR), assessed at Baseline and Week 8.
- Change in Abdominal Fat (DEXA). [ Time Frame: Baseline and Week 8 ]A comparison between the ramelteon group and the placebo group of change in abdominal fat measured by a DEXA scan, assessed at Baseline and Week 8.
|Study Start Date:||January 2008|
|Study Completion Date:||March 2010|
|Primary Completion Date:||March 2010 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Two week supply of ramelteon 8mg/day first dispensed at baseline. New two week supply of study medication dispensed at each biweekly visit for 8 consecutive weeks.
Other Name: Rozerem
Placebo Comparator: 2
Two week supply of placebo tablets first dispensed at baseline. New two week supply of placebo dispensed at each biweekly visit for 8 consecutive weeks.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00595504
|United States, Massachusetts|
|Freedom Trail Clinic|
|Boston, Massachusetts, United States, 02114|
|Principal Investigator:||David C. Henderson, M.D.||Massachusetts General Hospital|