Evaluating PN 400 (VIMOVO) in Reducing Gastric Ulcers in High Risk Subjects Compared to Arthrotec
This randomized, double-blind, parallel-group, controlled, multi-center clinical trial of 6 months duration is designed to assess the efficacy, tolerability and safety of PN400 versus diclofenac/misoprostol in subjects at high risk for developing NSAID-associated gastric ulcers. Approximately 100 sites will participate to enroll a total of 200 subjects (100 per arm).
At least 20% of the subjects enrolled will be age 65 years and older.
Drug: PN400 (VIMOVO)
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Double Blind (Participant, Investigator)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||6-Month, Randomized, Double-blind, Parallel-group, Controlled, Multi-center Study of Gastric Ulcer Incidence With PN400 (Esomeprazole/Naproxen) Versus Diclofenac/Misoprostol in Subjects at High Risk for Developing NSAID-Associated Ulcers|
- Number of Participants With Gastric Ulcer Confirmed by Endoscopy [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Number of participants with gastric ulcers confirmed by endoscopy following administration of PN 400 (VIMOVO) or Arthrotec in a high risk population over six months.
- Number of Participants With Duodenal Ulcers Confirmed by Endoscopy [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Number of participants with duodenal ulcers confirmed by endoscopy following administration of PN 400 VIMOVO)or Arthrotec in a high risk population
- Number of Participants With Upper Gastro-intestinal Injury Grade 4 as Measured by Lanza (1991) Score [ Time Frame: 6 months ]The degree of upper gastrointestinal (UGI) injury as measured by Lanza scores (1991) during treatment with PN 400 and ARTHROTEC® in a high-risk population. The Lanza (1991) score is based on endoscopic obeservations and rating these, with no damage, petecchiae, erosions and ulcers. On the 1991 scale, a Lanza score of 0 represents normal mucosa (no damage), while a score of 4 indicates 6-10 erosions, and a score of 7 indicates an ulcer.
|Study Start Date:||September 2007|
|Study Completion Date:||September 2008|
|Primary Completion Date:||September 2008 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
PN 400 (esomeprazole/naproxen) dosed twice daily
Drug: PN400 (VIMOVO)
PN400 tablet (500 mg delayed-release naproxen/20 mg immediate-release esomeprazole) given by mouth twice daily (bid).
Other Name: Vimovo
Active Comparator: Diclofenac/Misoprostol
diclofenac 75mg/misoprostol 200 mcg dosed twice daily
Over-encapsulated ARTHROTEC® 75 (75 mg diclofenac sodium/200 mcg misoprostol) capsules given by mouth bid.
Other Name: Arthrotec
To determine the incidence of gastric ulcers following administration of PN 400 in a high risk population over six months. Diclofenac/misoprostol will be used as a positive control.
- To determine the incidence of duodenal ulcers during treatment with PN 400 and diclofenac/misoprostol in a high risk population
- To evaluate the degree of upper gastrointestinal injury as measured by Lanza scores (1991) during treatment with PN400 and diclofenac/misoprostol in a high risk population
- To compare gastrointestinal symptoms in subjects treated with PN 400 versus diclofenac/misoprostol as measured by scores on the Gastrointestinal Symptoms Rating Scale (GSRS) instrument
- To evaluate the safety and tolerability of PN400 and diclofenac/misoprostol in a high risk population
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00594854
|United States, North Carolina|
|Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States, 27517|
|Study Chair:||Everardus Orlemans, PhD||POZEN|