PEG-Interferon Alfa-2b and Sorafenib in Treating Patients With Unresectable or Metastatic Kidney Cancer
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00589550|
Recruitment Status : Terminated (low accrual)
First Posted : January 9, 2008
Results First Posted : June 8, 2015
Last Update Posted : June 8, 2015
RATIONALE: PEG-interferon alfa-2b may interfere with the growth of tumor cells. Sorafenib may stop the growth of tumor cells by blocking some of the enzymes needed for cell growth. It may also stop the growth of kidney cancer by blocking blood flow to the tumor. Giving PEG-interferon alfa-2b together with sorafenib may kill more tumor cells.
PURPOSE: This phase I trial is studying the side effects and best dose of PEG-interferon alfa-2b and sorafenib in treating patients with unresectable or metastatic kidney cancer.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Kidney Cancer||Biological: PEG-interferon alfa-2b Drug: Sorafenib Genetic: gene expression analysis Genetic: polymerase chain reaction Genetic: reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction Other: flow cytometry Other: immunoenzyme technique Other: laboratory biomarker analysis||Phase 1|
- To determine the maximum tolerated dose and toxicity of PEG-interferon alfa-2b and sorafenib tosylate in patients with unresectable or metastatic clear cell renal cell carcinoma.
- To determine the progression-free survival of patients treated with this regimen.
- To evaluate, in a preliminary manner, the response rate and overall survival of patients treated with this regimen.
- To evaluate the activation of interferon-induced transcription factors in immune cell subsets (including regulatory T cells [T regs]) using a novel flow cytometric assay and correlate this information with clinical outcome.
- To measure circulating levels of IFN-γ and IL-5 for determination of Th1/Th2 status and CD4+, CD25+, and FoxP3 cell number (T regs) in peripheral blood.
OUTLINE: Patients receive PEG-interferon alfa-2b subcutaneously on days 1, 8, 15, 22, 29, 36, 43, and 50. Patients also receive oral sorafenib tosylate 2-3 times daily on days 15-56 of course 1 and on days 1-56 of all subsequent courses. Courses repeat every 56 days for up to 1 year in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
Blood samples are collected at baseline and periodically during study for correlative laboratory studies. Peripheral blood mononuclear cells are analyzed for STAT proteins (STAT1, STAT2, STAT3, STAT4, STAT5) and CD4+, CD25+, and FoxP3 regulatory T cells by flow cytometric assays. Samples are also analyzed for the presence of VEGF, VEGFR, IFN-γ, and IL-5 by ELISA assays; baseline expression of Jak-STAT signaling intermediates (Jak1, Tyk2, IFNAR, and IRF9) by immunoblot analysis; and interferon-stimulated gene expression by real time PCR and RT-PCR analysis.
After completion of study therapy, patients are followed every 3 months for 1 year, every 4 months for 1 year, every 6 months for 2 years, and then annually thereafter.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||1 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Phase I Study Of Peginterferon Alfa-2b (PEG-INTRON) With Sorafenib (Nexavar) In Patients With Unresectable Or Metastatic Clear Cell Renal Carcinoma (RCC).|
|Study Start Date :||February 2008|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||January 2009|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||January 2009|
Experimental: Peginterferon alfa-2b
Peginterferon alfa-2b will be administered SC on day 1 of each week of therapy. This will most likely be a Monday or a Tuesday. Sorafenib will be initiated on day 15 (start of week 3) of the first course and continued daily without breaks.
Biological: PEG-interferon alfa-2b
administered SC on day 1 of each week of therapy. This will most likely be a Monday or a Tuesday. Sorafenib will be initiated on day 15 (start of week 3) of the first course and continued daily without breaks.
Other Name: peginterferon alfa-2bDrug: Sorafenib
Other Names:Genetic: gene expression analysis Genetic: polymerase chain reaction Genetic: reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction Other: flow cytometry Other: immunoenzyme technique Other: laboratory biomarker analysis
- Maximum Tolerated Dose of PEG-interferon Alfa-2b and Sorafenib Tosylate [ Time Frame: up to 2 months ]
- Characterize the Toxicity of Peginterferon Alfa-2b and Sorafenib in Patients With Metastatic or Unresectable Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma. [ Time Frame: up to 2 months ]
- Progression-free Survival of Patients Receiving Peginterferon Alfa-2b and Sorafenib. [ Time Frame: up to 1 year ]
- Response Rate of Patients Receiving Peginterferon Alfa-2b and Sorafenib. [ Time Frame: up to 1 year ]
- Overall Survival [ Time Frame: up to 1 year ]
- Activation of Interferon-induced Transcription Factors in Immune Cell Subsets by Flow Cytometry and Correlation of This Information With Clinical Outcome [ Time Frame: up to 1 year ]
- Circulating Levels of IFN-γ and IL-5 for Determination of Th1/Th2 Status and CD4+, CD25+, and FoxP3 Cell Number (T Regs) in Peripheral Blood [ Time Frame: Up to 1 year ]
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00589550
|United States, Ohio|
|Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center|
|Columbus, Ohio, United States, 43210|
|Study Chair:||Thomas E. Olencki, DO||Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center|