Ketoconazole, Dexamethasone, and Hydrocortisone in Treating Patients With Prostate Cancer That Did Not Respond to Androgen-Deprivation Therapy
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00559481|
Recruitment Status : Withdrawn (Withdrawn due to low accrual)
First Posted : November 16, 2007
Last Update Posted : February 1, 2013
RATIONALE: Studying samples of blood in the laboratory from patients with cancer receiving ketoconazole together with dexamethasone and hydrocortisone may help doctors learn more about how these drugs are used by the body.
PURPOSE: This randomized clinical trial is studying how ketoconazole, dexamethasone, and hydrocortisone act in the body of patients with prostate cancer that did not respond to androgen-deprivation therapy.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Prostate Cancer||Drug: dexamethasone Drug: ketoconazole Drug: therapeutic hydrocortisone Procedure: pharmacological study||Not Applicable|
- To evaluate the pharmacokinetics of oral dexamethasone with and without oral ketoconazole in patients with androgen-independent prostate cancer.
- To compare the pharmacokinetics of oral hydrocortisone with and without oral ketoconazole in these patients.
OUTLINE: Patients are randomized to 1 of 2 treatment arms.
- Arm I: Patients receive oral dexamethasone twice daily on days 1-14, oral ketoconazole 3 times daily on days 2-14 and 30-42, and oral hydrocortisone twice daily on days 29-42.
- Arm II: Patients receive oral hydrocortisone twice daily on days 1-14, oral ketoconazole 3 times daily on days 2-14 and 30-42, and oral dexamethasone twice daily on days 29-42.
In both arms, patients may receive ketoconazole and hydrocortisone as standard salvage therapy off study.
In both arms, patients undergo blood sample collection on days 1, 14, 29, and 42 for pharmacokinetic studies.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||0 participants|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Effect of Oral Ketoconazole on the Pharmacokinetics of Oral Dexamethasone and Oral Hydrocortisone in Patients With Androgen Independent Prostate Cancer|
|Study Start Date :||October 2007|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||September 2008|
- Pharmacokinetics of oral dexamethasone with and without oral ketoconazole
- Pharmacokinetics of oral hydrocortisone with and without oral ketoconazole
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00559481
|Principal Investigator:||Donald L. Trump, MD||Roswell Park Cancer Institute|