Topical PH-10 Aqueous Hydrogel and Photodynamic Therapy for Psoriasis
This is an open label, single center, controlled study with each subject's two treatment plaque areas assigned by the investigator 1:1 to (a) PH-10 with ambient light exposure and (b) PH-10 with 544 nm LED light illumination at 10 J/cm2. A third plaque area will receive no treatment and serve as a control.
Subjects with at least three distinct, stable study plaque areas will receive the experimental therapy to two treatment plaque areas twice a week (2-5 days apart) for the lesser of 12 weeks or until remission is observed in the treatment plaque areas. If remission is observed in a treatment plaque area then treatment of that area will be discontinued and the area assessed weekly. A third plaque area (control plaque area) will receive no drug or light treatment and serve as an internal control.
Primary efficacy will be assessed 12 weeks after initial PH-10 treatment. Subjects will be followed for a total of 16 weeks to allow assessment of Durability of Response of treated lesions and comprehensive follow-up of adverse events.
|Plaque Psoriasis||Drug: PH-10 (rose bengal disodium 0.001%) Drug: Control||Phase 2|
|Study Design:||Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: None (Open Label)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||A Phase 2 Study of Topical PH-10 Aqueous Hydrogel and Photodynamic Therapy for the Treatment of Plaque Psoriasis|
- Treatment Success, defined as 0 or 1 on all Psoriasis Severity Index components (erythema, induration, and scaling) and 0 or 1 on the Plaque Response scale. [ Time Frame: 12 weeks ]
- Change in Pruritus of subject's treatment and control plaque areas using a self-assessment scale of 0-4. [ Time Frame: 12 weeks ]
- Time to Remission (TTR) based on the (a) number of treatments and (b) days elapsed until Treatment Success is noted in each treatment plaque area. [ Time Frame: 12 weeks ]
- Durability of Response based on plaque areas exhibiting Treatment Success that retain this level of response. [ Time Frame: 16 weeks ]
- Adverse Experience. [ Time Frame: 16 weeks ]
|Study Start Date:||November 2007|
|Estimated Study Completion Date:||July 2009|
|Primary Completion Date:||June 2009 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Each subject's study plaque areas will be assigned by the investigator to two PH-10 treatment plaque areas and one control plaque area.
Drug: PH-10 (rose bengal disodium 0.001%)
PH-10 with 544 nm LED light illumination
PH-10 with ambient light exposure
No treatment control.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00555646
|United States, New York|
|Mount Sinai School of Medicine|
|New York, New York, United States, 10029|
|Principal Investigator:||Amir Larian, MD||Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai|