A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Two-Period, Crossover Study to Evaluate the Effect of Lurasidone HCl on Oral Contraceptive Pharmacokinetics in Healthy Female Subjects (OC-DDI)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00549666|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : October 26, 2007
Last Update Posted : September 14, 2011
- Study Details
- Tabular View
- No Results Posted
- How to Read a Study Record
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Pharmacokinetics||Drug: Lurasidone 40 mg Drug: Placebo 40 mg Drug: Ortho Tri-Cyclen||Phase 1|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||23 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Crossover Assignment|
|Masking:||Double (Participant, Investigator)|
|Official Title:||A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Two-Period, Crossover Study to Evaluate the Effect of Lurasidone HCl on Oral Contraceptive Pharmacokinetics in Healthy Female Subjects|
|Study Start Date :||August 2007|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||December 2007|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||December 2007|
|Experimental: Lurasidone 40 mg||
Drug: Lurasidone 40 mg
Lurasidone 40 mg days 12-21 once daily
|Placebo Comparator: Placebo||
Drug: Placebo 40 mg
Placebo 40 mg once daily during treatment period
|Active Comparator: Ortho Tri-Cyclen||
Drug: Ortho Tri-Cyclen
Ortho Tri-Cyclen during 28-day lead in period
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.
|Ages Eligible for Study:||18 Years to 40 Years (Adult)|
|Sexes Eligible for Study:||Female|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:||Yes|
- Subject is female between 18 and 40 years of age
- Female subjects of reproductive potential will demonstrate a negative serum β-human chorionic gonadotropin level consistent with the non-gravid state at the screening visit
- Subject agrees to take the triphasic oral contraceptive, Ortho Tri-Cyclen™, throughout the study.
- Subject has a history of regular menstrual periods with no substantial breakthrough bleeding episodes while taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen™.
- Subject has a body mass index that is < 33 kg/m2 (see Appendix 1).
- Subject is judged to be in good health
- Subject must have a negative hepatiti and HIV antibody at screening.
- Subject has no clinically significant abnormality on screening ECG.
- Subject has a history of major GI abnormalities/peptic ulceration, hematological, genitourinary, cardiovascular (including hypertension), renal, hepatic, pulmonary, psychiatric, endocrine (including diabetes) or metabolic (including glaucoma), neurologic or cerebrovascular disease, or any history of cancer.
- Subject has systolic blood pressure ≥ 140 mm Hg and/or diastolic blood pressure ≥ 90 mm Hg at screening.
- Subject has a history of any chronic and/or active hepatic disease including elevations of serum transaminases, hepatitis, biliary tract disease, or a history of any gastrointestinal surgery.
- Subject has any other acute or chronic medical or psychiatric condition that, in the opinion of the investigator, would limit the patient safety or confound the results of the study.
- Subject has an ECG at screening with PR > 240 msec; QRS complex > 120 msec; QTcB > 450; or any significant morphologic changes other than nonspecific T-wave changes.
- Subject is currently a user of any illicit drugs (including "recreational use") including marijuana, or has recently used illicit drugs, or has a history of drug or alcohol dependence in the past year or abuse within the last 3 months.
- Subject consumes excessive amounts of alcohol
- Subject has had surgery within last 12 weeks, donated a unit of blood (within 4 weeks), or participated in another clinical study within 30 days of screening.
- Subjects with hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and diabetes should also be excluded. (See package circular under "Contraindications")
- Subject has clinically significant abnormalities at screening clinical examination or laboratory safety tests
- Subject has a prolactin level of over 200 ng/mL at screening.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00549666
|United States, California|
|Covance Global Clinical Pharmacology, Inc.|
|San Diego, California, United States, 92123|
|Study Director:||Medical Director, MD||Sunovion|
|Other Study ID Numbers:||
|First Posted:||October 26, 2007 Key Record Dates|
|Last Update Posted:||September 14, 2011|
|Last Verified:||September 2011|
Norgestimate, ethinyl estradiol drug combination
Central Nervous System Depressants
Physiological Effects of Drugs
Adrenergic alpha-2 Receptor Antagonists
Molecular Mechanisms of Pharmacological Action
Serotonin 5-HT2 Receptor Antagonists
Dopamine D2 Receptor Antagonists
Contraceptive Agents, Hormonal
Reproductive Control Agents
Contraceptives, Oral, Combined
Contraceptive Agents, Female
Topoisomerase II Inhibitors