This site became the new on June 19th. Learn more.
Show more Menu IMPORTANT: Listing of a study on this site does not reflect endorsement by the National Institutes of Health. Talk with a trusted healthcare professional before volunteering for a study. Read more... Menu IMPORTANT: Talk with a trusted healthcare professional before volunteering for a study. Read more... Menu
Give us feedback

Genetic Studies Spermatogenic Failure

This study has been completed.
Information provided by:
National Cheng-Kung University Hospital Identifier:
First received: October 24, 2007
Last updated: NA
Last verified: October 2007
History: No changes posted

The proposed study is designed to test the following hypotheses:

  1. Mouse autosomal or X-linked genes which are exclusively expressed in mouse spermatogonia are also spermatogonia-specific in human.
  2. Severe spermatogenic defect, especially hypospermatogenesis or SCOS, is caused by an intrinsic defect in germ line stem cell or speramtogenia.
  3. Spermatogonia-specific genes are caudate genes for human spermatogenic defect, especially for hypospermatogenesis or SCOS.
  4. For a significant fraction of cases with severe spermatogenic defect, the sterile genes are transmitted via multifactorial inheritance mode.
  5. For some cases with severe spermatogenic defect, mutations of spermatogonia- specific genes may be transmitted in the X-linked recessive, autosomal recessive, or autosomal dominant mode.

Condition Intervention
Oligospermia Azoospermia Male Infertility Other: Drawing blood to study genetic polymorphism

Study Type: Observational
Study Design: Observational Model: Case Control
Time Perspective: Prospective

Resource links provided by NLM:

Further study details as provided by National Cheng-Kung University Hospital:

Primary Outcome Measures:
  • Genotype/phenotype correlation of Y-linked AZF candidates and estrogen-related genes [ Time Frame: At the time of visiting OPD ]

Secondary Outcome Measures:
  • Role of significant candidate genes in human spermatogenesis [ Time Frame: At the time of drawing blood ]

Biospecimen Retention:   Samples With DNA
whole blood

Enrollment: 283
Study Start Date: January 2001
Study Completion Date: February 2005
Detailed Description:
Between 2% and 12% of couples worldwide are affected by reduced fertility. Men who have defects in sperm production (spermatogenic defect) account for about half of these cases. In Drosophila and mouse, targeted disruptions of numerous sterility- associated genes have been created. Physiological studies in the Drosophila and in mouse also indicate that spermatogenesis is subjected to complex regulation, and male infertility may result from aberrant regulatory events. In the human being, deletions of the Y chromosome account for only 10% of cases with spermatogenic defect, and etiologies of remaining 90% of cases are still unknown. It is evident that multiple genes are involved in male infertility. For cases with severe spermatogenic defect , testicular histology shows either decreased number of germ cells in all developmental stages (hypospermatogenesis) or complete absence of germ cells (Sertoli cell only syndrome or SCOS). It appears that there is an intrinsic defect which causes depletion of germ-line stem cells (spermatogonia) for cases with hypospermatogenesis or SCOS. Of 25 genes exclusively expressed in mouse spermatogonia, 3 are Y-linked, 10 are X-linked, and only 12 are distributed on autosomes.

Ages Eligible for Study:   14 Years to 60 Years   (Child, Adult)
Sexes Eligible for Study:   Male
Accepts Healthy Volunteers:   Yes
Sampling Method:   Probability Sample
Study Population
Patient visited our outpatient clinic

Inclusion Criteria:

  • Men with oligozoospermia(<2*10^7/ml) or azoospermia

Exclusion Criteria:

  • Abnormal karyotypes
  • Obvious genital trauma history
  • Genital hernia
  • Other recognizable causes of male infertility
  Contacts and Locations
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the Contacts provided below. For general information, see Learn About Clinical Studies.

Please refer to this study by its identifier: NCT00548977

National Cheng-Kung University Hospital
Tainan, Taiwan
Sponsors and Collaborators
National Cheng-Kung University Hospital
Study Chair: Paolin Kuo, MD
  More Information Identifier: NCT00548977     History of Changes
Other Study ID Numbers: NCKUH-1
Study First Received: October 24, 2007
Last Updated: October 24, 2007

Keywords provided by National Cheng-Kung University Hospital:
spermatogenesis defect
male infertility
Y chromosome markers
estrogen gene

Additional relevant MeSH terms:
Infertility, Male
Genital Diseases, Male
Genital Diseases, Female processed this record on August 17, 2017