TMC278-TiDP6-C209: A Clinical Trial in Treatment Naive HIV-1 Patients Comparing TMC278 to Efavirenz in Combination With Tenofovir + Emtricitabine.
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00540449|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : October 8, 2007
Results First Posted : July 11, 2011
Last Update Posted : March 29, 2016
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|HIV Infections HIV-1 Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type 1||Drug: TMC278 Drug: Efavirenz||Phase 3|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||694 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Quadruple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||A Phase III, Randomized, Double-blind Trial of TMC278 25 mg q.d. Versus Efavirenz 600mg q.d. in Combination With a Fixed Background Regimen Consisting of Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate and Emtricitabine in Antiretroviral-naive HIV-1 Infected Subjects.|
|Study Start Date :||May 2008|
|Primary Completion Date :||February 2010|
|Study Completion Date :||December 2011|
Active Comparator: Efavirenz
Efavirenz 600mg once daily for 96 weeks
600mg once daily for 96 weeks
TMC278 25 mg tablet once daily for 96 weeks
25 mg tablet once daily for 96 weeks
- Number of Participants With Virological Response (Intent-to-Treat - Time to Loss of Virologic Response [TLOVR], <50 Copies/ml) at Week 48 [ Time Frame: Week 48 ]Virological response is defined as confirmed plasma viral load less than (<) 50 human immunodeficiency virus-1 (HIV-1) (ribonucleic acid [RNA]) copies/milliliter (ml) at Week 48. The TLOVR algorithm was used to derive response. Response needed to be confirmed at 2 consecutive visits and participants who permanently discontinued were considered nonresponders after discontinuation. Resuppression after confirmed virologic failure was considered as failure. Virologic Failure includes participants who were rebounder (confirmed viral load >= 50 copies/ml after being responder) or who were never suppressed (no confirmed viral load <50 copies/ml).
- The Number of Participants With Virological Response (Intent-to-Treat - Snapshot, <50 Copies/ml) at Week 48 [ Time Frame: Week 48 ]The analysis is based on the last observed viral load (VL) data within the Week 48 window. Virologic response is defined as a VL<50 copies/ml (observed case). Missing VL was considered as non-response. Virologic Failure includes subjects who had VL>=50 copies/ml in the Wk48 window, subjects who discontinued early due to lack or loss of efficacy, subjects who discontinued for reasons other than an adverse event, death or lack or loss of efficacy and at the time of discontinuation had a VL>=50 copies/ml and subjects who had a switch in background regimen that was not permitted by the protocol.
- Number of Participants With Virological Response (Intent-to-Treat - Time to Loss of Virologic Response [TLOVR], <50 Copies/ml) at Week 96 [ Time Frame: Week 96 ]
- The Number of Participants With Virological Response (Intent-to-Treat - Snapshot, <50 Copies/ml) at Week 96 [ Time Frame: Week 96 ]
- Number of Participants With Virological Response (Observed, <50 Copies/ml) at Last On-Treatment Visit (Post-Week 96). [ Time Frame: Variable, ranging from 3 months up to maximum 15 months for TMC278 and 12 months for Efavirenz after the 96-week visit ]Virological response is defined as (observed) plasma viral load less than 50 human immunodeficiency virus-type 1 (HIV-1) ribonucleic acid (RNA) copies per ml at the last on-treatment visit (post-Week 96).
- Number of Participants With Virological Response (Intent-to-Treat - Time to Loss of Virologic Response [TLOVR], <400 Copies/ml) at Week 48 [ Time Frame: Week 48 ]
- Number of Participants With Virological Response (Intent-to-Treat - Time to Loss of Virologic Response [TLOVR], <400 Copies/ml) at Week 96 [ Time Frame: Week 96 ]
- Mean Change From Baseline to Week 48 and Week 96 in Absolute and Relative CD4+ Cell Counts (Using Imputed Data) [ Time Frame: Baseline, Week 48, and Week 96 ]Change from baseline in CD4+ cell count was imputed in case of missing values: in case of premature discontinuation, data were imputed with the baseline value after discontinuation (i.e. change=0, Non-Completer [NC] = Failure); otherwise last observation carried forward was applied.
- Number of Participants With Virologic Failure for the Resistance Determination by Emerging Resistance Associated Mutations: First Available On-Treatment Genotypic Data After Failure [ Time Frame: Week 96 ]Virologic failure for the resistance determinations was defined as lack of virologic response (never having had 2 consecutive plasma viral load <50 copies/mL) and plasma viral load increase of >=0.5 log 10 copies/mL above nadir (i.e., never suppressed), or confirmed loss of virologic response (2 consecutive plasma viral load >=50 copies/mL after having had 2 consecutive plasma viral load <50 copies/mL; i.e., rebounder), or discontinued with a last observed on-treatment plasma viral load >=50 copies/mL after having had 2 consecutive plasma viral load <50 copies/mL. For this study, treatment-emergent reverse transcriptase (RT) resistance associated mutations (RAMs) occurring in at least 2 virologic failures (for at least one treatment group) for the following lists are presented: i) Extended list of Non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NNRTI RAMs) ii) IAS-USA list of Nucleoside/tide reverse transcriptase inhibitor (N[t]RTI RAMs).
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00540449
Show 95 Study Locations
|Study Director:||Tibotec Pharmaceuticals Clinical Trial||Tibotec Pharmaceutical Limited|