Open-label Study of Levetiracetam Intravenous Infusion in Children (4-16 Years Old) With Epilepsy
|Study Design:||Endpoint Classification: Safety Study
Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Open-label, Single-arm, Multi-center, Pharmacokinetic, Safety and Tolerability Study of Levetiracetam Intravenous Infusion in Children (4 - 16 Years Old) With Epilepsy.|
- Number of Subjects Reporting at Least 1 Treatment-Emergent Adverse Event (TEAE) During the Treatment Period (up to 4 Days) [ Time Frame: Treatment period (up to 4 days) ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Number of Subjects Who Received High-dose Levetiracetam Intravenous (LEV IV) (More Than 40 mg/kg/Day) During the Treatment Period (up to 4 Days) [ Time Frame: Treatment period (up to 4 days) ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Number of Consecutive Levetiracetam Intravenous (LEV IV) Doses Received [ Time Frame: Treatment period (up to 4 days) ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
|Study Start Date:||September 2007|
|Study Completion Date:||February 2010|
|Primary Completion Date:||February 2010 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Intravenous 100 mg/mL, twice a day, maximum of 4 days
Subjects on oral levetiracetam at study entry receive the same intravenous (IV) dosage (mg-for-mg) to their oral dose.
Dosage for subjects not on levetiracetam at study entry was based on weight: if <50 kg, the dose was 20 mg/kg/day (10 mg/kg/day twice daily); if weight ≥ 50 kg, the dose of levetiracetam intravenous (LEV IV) was 1000 mg/day (500 mg twice daily).
The primary objective of this study was to evaluate the safety and tolerability of levetiracetam intravenous 15-minute infusion administered every 12 hours, either as adjunctive treatment or monotherapy in children (4 to 16 years old) with epilepsy (except status epilepticus), either after switching from the equivalent levetiracetam oral dose administration or as a new antiepileptic treatment.
The evaluation period was to be considered as one complete set of 4 Pharmacokinetic (PK) samples for a maximum of 4 days;
- For children already taking levetiracetam oral tablets or oral solution prior to entering the study, the levetiracetam intravenous (LEV IV) dose will be equivalent (mg-for-mg) to their oral dose. The first intravenous (IV) infusion was to be administered 12 hours after the last oral dose of levetiracetam.
For children not taking levetiracetam oral tablets or oral solution prior to entering the study:
- If weight < 50 kg: dose of levetiracetam intravenous (LEV IV) dose will be calculated on the basis of their weight at 20 mg/kg/day (i.e. 10 mg/kg twice daily).
- If weight ≥ 50 kg: dose of levetiracetam intravenous (LEV IV) will be 1000 mg/day (i.e. 500 mg twice daily).
However, when necessary for the safety of the subject or when the investigator deemed it appropriate the levetiracetam intravenous (LEV IV) dose could be modified after one day.
Subjects were hospitalized for the duration of the levetiracetam IV treatment.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00535392
Show 25 Study Locations
|Study Director:||UCB Clinical Trial Call Center||+1 877 822 9493 (UCB)|